Polyquat 60 / Chlorine Consumption

s1njin

Jun 11, 2015
Jackson, NJ
So, another day another lesson learned.

I was going through the pool chemicals that my pool installer left and discovered a quart of Poly 60. So, upon reading the instructions I dosed the pool with the initial/startup dosage on the high side. Noting it is a good algae preventer and mild clarifier, and it didn't cost me any money, I figured what the heck.

So I dosed my pool last night w/ almost a quart of the stuff, let the filter run for two hours, and went out for Happy Hour. I added it by turning off my main drain and one skimmer, setting the pump to recirculate, and than poured the poly into the one functioning skimmer. I left the pump this way for about 5 minutes to make sure it all got shot around the pool w/ my 10 jets. I then put everything else back to normal.

This morning I discovered I have no Chlorine in the pool. :confused:

So, researching this on the forum I have now learned that large quantities of Poly 60 will consume (or combine?) with chlorine and thus require a chlorine infusion. Good thing I got up early this morning. I immediately turned the pump/filter on and set my SWG to Super Chlorinate.

Any idea how long I have to run this way to get over the Poly 60 consumption curve so that my chlorine sticks around?

Thanks in advance.

I can't help you with that, but this should be a good lesson to research before dumping magic potions into your pool, thankfully Polyquat 60 is one of the better (but usually not needed) things you can add, it could have been MUCH worse. On a side point we usually suggest not using the superchlorinate feature on SWG's to spike FC levels as this runs the SWG 100% of the time and thus shortens its life, instead we suggest when you need to do a major FC spike for events like this, after large swim parties, etc. to use liquid chlorine / bleach as this will get it in the water right away, not over a few hours time, and helps maintain the life expectancy of your SWG.

We're on the same page w/ the SWG. I just got back from the store w/ 10 gallons of store brand bleach. I'm going to manually dose the pool w/ it and set the SWG back to its original settings (45%). *clarification I'm not using all 10 gallons. I'm going to get myself from 2 to 6 via 178 ounces of store brand bleach per the pool calculator. I have the extra gallons to just have on hand*

And you're right about the magic potion thing too. I'm posting somewhat embarrassed but so that others might learn from my mistake. :)

Last edited:
One quart (946.353 ml) of Polyquat 60 in 21,400 gallons (81,000 liters) would take [ 0.60 * (946.353 ml) * (1.15 g/ml) / (253.17 g/mole Polyquat unit) ] * (3 chlorine / 2 nitrogen) * (70.906 g/mole Cl2) * (1000 mg/g) / (81,000 liters) = 3.4 ppm FC to oxidize the nitrogen and break up the units into individual units.

What was your chlorine level before you added the Polyquat? If it was around 4 ppm, then this makes sense between the Polyquat usage and normal chlorine loss rates overnight.

Normally, Polyquat takes longer to react with chlorine but you added a larger than maintenance dose and your SWG may break it down faster than manual dosing especially since you poured it into the skimmer so it would go directly to the chlorine generator (if it was on at the time) so would get superchlorinated there.

My SWG was on at the time. My CL was around 4.5-5.

I'm going to do a full run of tests on my water tomorrow in the early evening. I'm worried about doing a full battery today as I understand that a large dose of PolyQuat can also give a false CC reading (if I remember that right). I bumped my SWG up to 50% and dosed a gallon of bleach for good measure today. My CL was reading 2-4 on the Taylor quick test kit around 9AM (again I didn't do the full battery), and I had about 6 people swimming in the pool today. I figured better to be safe than sorry.

We are expecting rain tonight, so I expect my readings will not be what I normally get. Actually normal is tough to define as the pool is new, and this is my first spring --> summer transition with a bather load, sun 9:30-4, and water temps around 90.

I'm kicking myself for adding the PolyQuat but the pool IS crystal clear at least.

I ran a full suite of tests anyway; curiosity got the best of me. Not sure what to make of it because:

A. First time the pool has been at 90 degrees for 2 straight days
B. Had about 7 people in the pool today
C. Full sun (7 hours) both days

FC 4
CC .5
PH 7.8
CYA 70
TA 100

So before the sun wet down I did the following:
Added 1 gallon of bleach
Put the pump / SWG back on
Added ~1qt Muriatic Acid

I've never tested my pool at the end of the day, and I've never had the water this warm with a bather load. So I'm just as confused now as I was when I started. Pool remains crystal clear as of this evening. Up until it got warm outside and in the pool, I was able to maintain 5ppm of CL at 35% SWG generation. Now I'm running at 50% to see if I can hold it.

Regardless, the effects of the ill advised mega dose of PolyQuat should have run its course by tomorrow AM.

Oh, and don't laugh. I found a dead mouse floating in the pool this morning. Heaven knows if it was there for an hour or since midnight. :confused:

Did the Taylor K-1000 test this AM (short on time). CL is off the chart (higher than 5-10), pH is 7.5.

I'm feeling like I got a handle on it. I'll see more tonight when I run the proper Chlorine test.

Also, it rained about 1-1.5 inches last night.

I think I'm clear. Took my full readings this today 5PM EST. Full sun, pool is 90 degrees.

CL: 10
CC: 0

Looks like whatever was in there is gone. I am one happy camper !!!!

Now I can let the pump turn off tonight, and let my CL drop naturally. We'll see what 50% on the SWG buys me for 9 hours of pump time. I am so relieved !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.