Add Borax = extremely cloudy water

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey,

I've seen a few threads here from people adding Borax and getting cloudy water. The general consensus seems to be that Borax should not cloud the water. But my experience seems contrary to that.

Yesterday my pool was crystal clear. Like show off clear :D :D
All numbers were ok but ph was on the low side. about 7.2. So about 5pm I got 4 boxes of Borax.
I want to get the borates up anyway... So threw the 4 boxes into the pool in front of the deep end return. I watched the evil Borax cloud grow and spread. And next thing I knew, the entire pool was extremely cloudy. Cant see the bottom cloudy. I figured I would let it run for a while and it would clear. 14 hours later the pool is just as, if not more cloudy. I just took a set of numbers right now. They are:

FC - 8
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
CYA - 30-35
CH - 300
TA- 100

I am fighting the good fight against metal staining. Using over 1 bottle of metal magic a week to keep the stains away. Im wondering if the jump in PH might have caused the staining to start? A lot of times the staining isnt just in the liner. It makes the water look cloudy and almost tinny. But before I go buying $50 worth of Ascorbic, I want to be sure :)

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance.

Thanks Texas Splash. I don't really understand the question. I appreciate your responses, but I feel this is moving in a direction away from the issue that I am having and its very important for me to get some info on what might be going on.

Thanks a lot.

You have relatively good test numbers (above). And you['re right, typically Borax should not cloud the water. You're not on well water, so I can only assume your city water has some metal(s) in it based on your history of this staining issue. Have you contacted your water company and/or had the water tested specifically for metal content already? I didn't see a previous thread on that. Knowing which type of metal may be in your water could be key.

- - - Updated - - -

As you wish

I have added 20 Mule Team Borax to my pool at least 4 times (for the same reason) and never experienced ANY cloudiness nor can I remember any other specific posts of that happening.

I think Texas Splash is trying to find something unique in your pool since you seem to be having a unique experience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Duraleigh. When I searched for "borax cloudy" on the site I came up with a few posts. And then google showed a bunch. But either way, I think Ill wait another 24 hours and see if it clears. If not maybe hit it with ascorbic. Maybe the ph jump freed the metal from the Sequestrant.

Appreciate both of your help!!!

I also get cloudy water when borax is added after an ascorbic acid treatment to get rid of iron stains. This has happened twice.

Lowered the ph to 7
Added ascorbic acid
Stains gone
Added sequestering agent
Slowly raised Chlorine to 2
Added borax to raise ph to 7.2 (cloudy)
Wait a couple days, perfectly clear water

I do not know why it clouds up, but it happens immediately when the borax hits the water

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.