Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie finally gave in

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie finally gave in

First of all thanks for the add great site. My wife and son finally convinced me to get an AGP, mainly my 6 year old. Im going to be getting an intex 16x48 pool. I have a few questions after leveling the spot going out 18' I have been reading about putting down insulated panels my ground is really sandy. I will be using the intex swg my question is how do i keep it out of weather dont have a deck around pool. It will be next month before I get home to install pool. I dont want to rush install do it right the first time.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie finally gave in

Welcome to TFP! So if I understand your question, you are wondering about trying to keep the SWG system itself covered correct?

- - - Updated - - -

You also mentioned previous posts about insulated panels, so I'm a bit confused.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry about that I just went back and reread it. My first question is has anyone used the insulated panels under pool instead of pool pads I plan on using them with a ground cover. Any ideas on keeping swg covered and out of the rain.

4. Back To Top    #4

I've seen several posts in the past for "Gorilla Pads" under pools. Perhaps more for protection as opposed to insulation, but you might still like to Google that one. I'll have to let SWG owners chime-in on their methods to protect the unit. While I don't believe it's necessary, some owners have gotten creative with the equipment, if not for protection from the elements, then for aesthetic purposes as well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the quick response. The panels are the extruded polystyrene foam from the big box stores.

6. Back To Top    #6

While you wait for others who might reply for advice, I found these previous threads I thought you might like to read:
    To Foam or Sand new install
    Any experience with a rigid foam base instead of sand ?
    Polystyrene Foam Insulation for Pool Bottom - Pink Vs. Blue

I hope some of this helps you.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach