Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inline clorinator?

1. Back To Top    #1

Inline clorinator?

I am getting ready to install a 27' AGP and am considering an automatic clorinator. Does anyone have experience with these? Either the ones that take liquid or hockey pucks.
    27' round Radiant pool
    Above ground
    Sand filter
    Solara solar panels(2)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Inline clorinator?

Congrats on the new pool!

We are not fans of using pucks as the primary source of chlorine. Pucks add CYA to pool and it will eventually get so high yhat you chlorine will be ineffective and you will have to do partial drains and refills to dilute the CYA. A Stenner pump or a Liquidator are popular choices for dosing liquid chlorine. And saltwater is another popular choice for chlorinating pools. An inexpensive Intex s
    SWG might be a good option to give a try.

Here is an article from Pool School about How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

Given your location in Maine, I am going to guess your season is pretty short and you get rain and you will have to partially drain for the winter, right?
    If so, you very well could get by with using the trichlor tablets. But, you need to learn what all they do to your pool and then need to monitor your rising CYA level and ensure that your FC stays high enough so you do not end up with a swamp in August.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Orlando, FL

I love the Liquidator but your pool may be on the large size for what people say it is capable of keeping up with during the summer. I love just dumping the chlorine in and leaving it alone for a week or more. If this ever becomes a problem, I would go with a Stenner pump. I have had the SWCG and, for me, I never really got the feed rate correct and it seemed more troublesome than beneficial. However, lots of forum members have the SWCG and love it. It's all based on preference.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).