Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie has question about chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie has question about chlorine

Hi. We recently drained and refilled our IG 22000g guinite pool. This is my first year to follow the TFP method and it has been great! In fact things are going to good which has me worried that maybe it really isn't correct . 4 days ago I added a gallon and a half of bleach, added baking soda, stabilizer in a sock and then the next day Borax. My numbers have been good except for CH (very low) and I just bought some to add. CYA is a tad low but from what I have read it takes about a week to kick in. My main concern/ question is my chlorine level today (3 days since adding bleach) is still 4. Which is my target level. But shouldn't I be having to add chlorine daily? Or is it possible that because my pool is is shade most of the day it just isn't being burned up? My pool is crystal clear and looks great but it seems to good to be true. Lol.
    In ground Guinite pool 22,000g. Hayward filter system, using Taylor K-2006 for testing, totally new to this whole pool thing. Located in Tennessee.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie has question about chlorine

assuming it was 8.25 bleach you added
    1.5 gallons would give you 4.6ppm fc
    as it is fresh fill and shade and water is still cold,
    it is possible you haven't lost any fc yet
    but i would suspect it was a higher strength you added
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like you're one of the few who's pool is in a very efficient stage right now based on position, sun, etc, that FC simply isn't being consumed as quickly as other pools in the country. If you've been comfortable with the Taylor kit for some time now, I'm assuming your readings should be accurate. Any idea how old the reagent(s) are?

However to be safe, you're welcome to post a full set of numbers for us to compare - just in case.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

It was 8.25% bleach that I added. And the Taylor k 2006 kit I am using I just purchased and the agents don't expire till late 2016. I appreciate your comments. I guess I am just shocked how well my pool has turned out without having to spend big $$$$ like I usually spend at the pool store. I am so glad I found this site and for all the information and input! Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

With 4 ppm as your target----what is your CYA level you shot for?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

According to poolmath my target CYA is 40. 2 days ago when I checked it it was 35. How often should I be checking my numbers and should I add some more stabilizer? My sock is empty. I just added it 5 days ago.

7. Back To Top    #7

Give it time. 35 is within the window of error for 40. With low,FC consumption there is no need to worry about adding more jut to reach a magic number.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

With a 'target" level of 4ppm of Fc-----you have a whopping cushion of 1 to be at your minimum FC level for your CYA. I'd sure keep a close eye on it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!