Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Doing repairs -- How to release water from solar collectors/panels (without wasting)

1. Back To Top    #1

Doing repairs -- How to release water from solar collectors/panels (without wasting)

Hi folks,

Pretty standard in-ground pool setup:

I have a leaky three-way valve/manifold that I'd like to replace the gaskets/o-rings on. Additionally, a bit of a leak in one of the ABS pipe unions/connectors. I'm looking to do some fixes, but will need to release the water from the solar collectors back down to the pool. Is there an easy trick folks may recommend? We're in drought country (California), so would like to conserve as much of the water accumulated in the solar collectors as possible.

I was thinking about heading to the roof and opening up the system at the relief valve to break the vacuum to purge the system, but if there's an easier way on the ground, I'd love to try it out!

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Doing repairs -- How to release water from solar collectors/panels (without wasti

No advice, except that once you figure out how to do it, be sure to plumb in a dedicated drain line and valve for the future. Good luck and let us know how you solved the problem!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Doing repairs -- How to release water from solar collectors/panels (without wasti

So, your 3 way valve isn't a solar valve that has a small hole and drains back after the valve is closed? How about manually opening the 3 way valve? That should allow it to drain down.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    So, your 3 way valve isn't a solar valve that has a small hole and drains back after the valve is closed? How about manually opening the 3 way valve? That should allow it to drain down.
    Beautiful, thanks, that did the trick!