How to keep water from flowing out when changing filter

You need to turn off the valves before the pump and after the filter. Post some pics of your equipment pad if you don't know about that. :)

eNS2cIY.jpg

From the right, the first valve (right before the pump) is the spa suction. I have that turned to off. The next valve on the left is the skimmer suction, then the next pipe coming out of the ground without a valve is the main drain. Even with the skimmer turned off the main drain still flows into the pump. The next three valves on the left are the fountain, pool return, and spa return.

I appreciate any help!

I think I just figured it out. The valve after the pump is to the pool cleaner (which I don't use.) I can open that valve completely and the water will flow back into the pool.

*facepalm*

Welp, that didn't work. Water is still flowing in. I tried closing the other valves, not working either.

I can wait to cut the pipe until the last minute, but will the wetness affect the cement ad me doing the new plumbing?

Is the pool above the equipment?

If it's not, just crack the air bleed on top the filter with the pump off and let everything gravity drain back into the pool.

If it is, you'll need to shut as many valves as possible and plug the openings you can't control with winterizing plugs or rubber stoppers or even a whittled-down carrot or potato.

The valve closest to the heater probable only turns left or right. But if you take the knob off the top of the handle and lift it a little you can turn it 180 which will shut off any return from the pool. The one on top of the filter pump looks like it needs to turn 180 from where it is. You might have to do the same with the handle. Let me know if this worked.

Yes, take the thumbscrew off the valve closest to the heater, lift the handle slightly and turn it so the handle is opposite where it is in the pic. Same for the valve closest to the pump, point the handle away from the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.