Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to keep water from flowing out when changing filter

1. Back To Top    #1

How to keep water from flowing out when changing filter

Hi guys,

Getting my new filter tomorrow, but I need help with the old one. I went to drain the existing filter, but the water won't stop flowing into the pump, which flows into the filter. What's a girl to do?
    IG gunite freeform pool with attached spa, stone surround, 18,000 gallons, Pentair Tagelus TA60, Pentair Whisperflo WF-8 pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to keep water from flowing out when changing filter

You need to turn off the valves before the pump and after the filter. Post some pics of your equipment pad if you don't know about that.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    You need to turn off the valves before the pump and after the filter. Post some pics of your equipment pad if you don't know about that.

From the right, the first valve (right before the pump) is the spa suction. I have that turned to off. The next valve on the left is the skimmer suction, then the next pipe coming out of the ground without a valve is the main drain. Even with the skimmer turned off the main drain still flows into the pump. The next three valves on the left are the fountain, pool return, and spa return.

I appreciate any help!
    IG gunite freeform pool with attached spa, stone surround, 18,000 gallons, Pentair Tagelus TA60, Pentair Whisperflo WF-8 pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think I just figured it out. The valve after the pump is to the pool cleaner (which I don't use.) I can open that valve completely and the water will flow back into the pool.

*facepalm*

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, if that doesn't work then come back and we can figure it out, no prob.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by concretegardenstx View Post
    I think I just figured it out. The valve after the pump is to the pool cleaner (which I don't use.) I can open that valve completely and the water will flow back into the pool.

*facepalm*
    Welp, that didn't work. Water is still flowing in. I tried closing the other valves, not working either.

I can wait to cut the pipe until the last minute, but will the wetness affect the cement ad me doing the new plumbing?

7. Back To Top    #7

Is the pool above the equipment?

If it's not, just crack the air bleed on top the filter with the pump off and let everything gravity drain back into the pool.

If it is, you'll need to shut as many valves as possible and plug the openings you can't control with winterizing plugs or rubber stoppers or even a whittled-down carrot or potato.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

The valve closest to the heater probable only turns left or right. But if you take the knob off the top of the handle and lift it a little you can turn it 180 which will shut off any return from the pool. The one on top of the filter pump looks like it needs to turn 180 from where it is. You might have to do the same with the handle. Let me know if this worked.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, take the thumbscrew off the valve closest to the heater, lift the handle slightly and turn it so the handle is opposite where it is in the pic. Same for the valve closest to the pump, point the handle away from the pump.
    TFP Moderator