Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone get pebble interior done BEFORE decking (concrete)

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone get pebble interior done BEFORE decking (concrete)

I'm formed and waiting on concrete. Due to the month of rain and flooding we had, concrete is in high demand. I'm first in line but was wondering if there is a reason I couldn't get the PT interior done first? I've noticed on most build threads decking is first - I'm assuming to keep concrete from accidentally getting in there? Anyone know for sure? I'd like to be armed with knowledge before asking my PB

~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Anyone get pebble interior done BEFORE decking (concrete)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbaby View Post
    I'm formed and waiting on concrete. Due to the month of rain and flooding we had, concrete is in high demand. I'm first in line but was wondering if there is a reason I couldn't get the PT interior done first? I've noticed on most build threads decking is first - I'm assuming to keep concrete from accidentally getting in there? Anyone know for sure? I'd like to be armed with knowledge before asking my PB

I want to know the answer to this also! I have a feeling my PB is not going to wait for the paver guy since he seems more backed up than the pool side. Thanks. Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

I've seen it both ways.
    The pouring of a deck is less messy that the spraying of PT/plaster.
    They will make the appropriate preparations either way.
    I had all my travertine down prior to PT.
    They laid plastic down over the whole area, masking off at the waterline tile.
    I would imagine, for the opposite order, all they would need do is mask off at the coping.

I guess that having the deck in place helps not tracking muck into the pool when they shoot the PT.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If I have a choice, I would rather have the deck put in before the plaster/pebble. Either way will work out. Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

I think Monday I might ask if we can do PT first. Unless he says concrete is coming!
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

Having just had my decking done I can tell doing PT prior to concrete decking wouldn't be my first option. I had a mess in my pool after, even a little 3 x 3 pile of concrete ended-up on my shotcrete. Now maybe they would have been MUCH more detail oriented had my plaster been in but based on what I came home to, wouldn't be my first choice.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

7. Back To Top    #7

Plus it will be a matter of timing. They can't let the PT sit for days waiting on decking. I really wouldn't choose this route anyway. No way. Plaster is almost without exception done last for a variety of reasons.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

OK - this is good to know. I was thinking we could to PT and fill it - and do concrete whenever the concrete God's blessed me. But I do NOT want to do something that is iffy.
    ~Wendy

9. Back To Top    #9

@Sunbaby are you doing a spray deck on your concrete? Reason I ask is my decking guy waited a week to let my concrete cure prior to starting my spray deck. Not sure how long they recommend in TX, here in Vegas it was high 90s to low 100s and single digit humidity and it still took a week.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

10. Back To Top    #10

We have a Quartz finish and my PB suggested we do the plaster after my decking but said some people who don't want to wait reverse the order. If the decking guys are very careful I would think it would be ok, but what are the odds each employee of the decking contractor will be very careful - I would say 12%.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by grottoguy View Post
    If the decking guys are very careful I would think it would be ok, but what are the odds each employee of the decking contractor will be very careful - I would say 12%.
    LOL and agreed. Especially with the spray on deck surface.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

LOL. 12%

Gotta love it.
    ~Wendy