PH keeps falling

That is a little weird for me. I almost always see rising PH and am much more versed in how to deal with that. But, you do have a few choices that I am aware of, I just don't have any experience with them or know what works better because I also have rising PH.

Raising your TA slowly with baking soda until PH stabilizes, like 10ppm a week or so.
Continue raising your PH with Borax until you have enough borates to stabilize your PH.
Add enough Borax to raise borate to 50ppm right now.

Here is an article about borates, Borates - Why and How

What is the pH of your fill water? If it has low or neutral ph, every time you replace water lost to evaporation and splashout, it would lower the pH a tiny amount.

Does the pH mainly drop after a rain? Up here in the Seattle area, we occasionally get acid rain coming from the industrial areas to the north (Everett, WA to Vancouver, BC). Perhaps you're getting rain filled with acidic stuff drifting south from Albany and Portland?

Thanks pooldv, what should my TA be? I thought 80 was good.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I'm trying to learn as much as possible also :) I have been really enjoying this community

TA is not a number that really "should" be something. It is a combo of things (fill water, pool surface, age, PH) and finding the range that ultimately makes your PH stable. TA can be anywhere from like 60 to stop rising PH to around 120 stop falling PH. And PH can be anywhere from 7.2 to 7.8 if it stabilizes there.

There are people here with and without SWG who have not adjusted their PH in years because their fill water, CH, TA are all in a sweet spot. I'm jealous! Getting my PH stable is going to be my summer project.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thats how we work here in Eugene, OR haha.
Guess I'll just keep adding borax, Heck I'm getting borates out of this haha.

Question though, this is slowly adding TA too right? If so what do I add instead if the TA gets too high?

You are getting borates out of the deal. I am a fan of borates. Borax raises TA least of the chemical options. Raising your TA is not bad. There is a good chance that adding borax to raise pH and TA will eventually get you to a point of homeostasis on your PH. If that happens with TA anywhere from 80ish to 120ish then that is fine. You can also raise PH with aeration with no impact to TA

See the raising PH section on this page for more info.
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.