re Deck Options, Pros and Cons

Jun 11, 2015
Covington, LA
There are a lot of choices out there when it comes to pool/patio decks. I thought it might help people decide what type of decking would work best for them if we listed some of the pros and cons of each type with examples.

So, if you could, just post a picture and any pros and cons you can think of.

I'll start:

Sundeck
Pros:
It is easy on your feet/slip resistant, comes in various colors, and is fairly durable - can be gently pressure washed and doesn't stain too easily. Also, it can be applied to new or existing concrete.

**Grain of salt - We have had our deck for less than 6 months so time will tell if these claims hold to be true.

Cons:
Somewhat expensive. In south Houston, cost was $9 per sq ft. Can be damaged if pressure washed under high pressure. Costly to add to existing deck at a later date.

Overall look:
Pumpisrunning.jpg

Close-up:
Deckcloseup.jpg

Here is a link for more info:
http://www.sundek.com/

what color sundek is posted in this picture please?

Re: Deck Options - Pros and Cons

SeanB,

We used Travertine for 3,000 sq.ft. and Belgrade pavers for about 400 sq.ft. and Trex walkway along the water

Travertine:
Stays cool in high temp areas
The look we wanted to achieve
Durability and easy to replace
Con
Cost
Weeds may grow in the cracks and have to be killed

Belgrade pavers get hot

Liquid Solar Cover... what if it's too good?

I'm debating on getting the Heatsavr product for our new inground pool and have concerns...
  • Does it work?
  • Does it work too well?
  • What do I do if the pool get's too warm... you can't "remove" it?

I like my pool at around 78 degrees. In our previous home (also inground pool), when the pool temp got too warm, we would leave the cover off at night and even that would sometimes not be enough to cool it down overnight (we are in Niagara Region of Canada). I'm concerned that during the peak of summer, the liquid cover, though not as good as a traditional blanket, will still cause too much heat to become trapped and drive up the temp.

If I stop adding the product, how long does it take for the blanket to become "ineffective"? I thought that perhaps when we get to the hot days of summer, we could simply stop adding it which would be just like "removing the blanket"....but it does me no good if it still works for a week before dissipating.

Re: Deck Options - Pros and Cons

I want what Martin Kennedy has!!!!! Oh wait, ya'll are only talking decks? Ok, I'll take his decks and everything else, too!!!! And I second what Amanda said. Suz - in dreamland.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I'm curious about many of these decking materials that I'm not familiar with. Pictures please, when you get a chance! Thanks! Suz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.