Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening the Pool Yet Again

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening the Pool Yet Again

Hello guys,
    Could someone refresh my memory as to adjusting pool levels at opening? I will be shocking the pool in the beginning so I know its not a good ides to add chemicals until all done with that as to not waste them. But should I level anything before shocking? like Ph and Alkalinity maybe?
    Free Form Gunite Saltwater Pool, 29,000 Gallons, Jandy DEL60 Filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 Chlorinator, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Attached HotTub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening the Pool Yet Again

Hi Rafael,

I see you have been here a while, so I'm curious if you have a proper kit for this, and if you are familiar with our shock process we call SLAM? We don't shock in the conventional accepted way. Let us know, and we can help.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

WHY-------will you be SLAMming your pool???????
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is how and why and when you need to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes I have a proper test kit and yes I know what SLAMing is, just could not remember if I needed to adjust any levels before slamming. Anyways, since I didn't get any replies I went ahead and adjusted PH and just started SLAMing on Saturday at 8PM. My first readings were

Chlorine - 0
    PH - 8.4 or higher
    CYA - 40
    CH - 150
    TA - 60

Already passed OCLT Sunday night and water crystal clear. I think this is three years in a row I pass OCLT within 24 hour period. Now again this year I run into the problem with FC levels, I adjust to 24 (Mustard Algae level) just in case but I end up a lot higher..... I think Wallmart Bleach is a lot stronger then labeled, I think I was around 34 levels if recall correctly. Maybe that is why I clear out things so quickly and it only takes me a day to pass the test. I could also suspect I have less water then calculated but most other values come out about right when I add the chemicals and you guys helped me estimate my pool volume a couple of years ago. In addition my pool is extra full this year so I Cant imagine having less then 29000 gallons.

Thanks for the link to that page with SLAM instructions, I had the same thing from another post here and it wasn't detailed as to when to do PH, this is a better post.
    Free Form Gunite Saltwater Pool, 29,000 Gallons, Jandy DEL60 Filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 Chlorinator, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Attached HotTub.

6. Back To Top    #6

Took readings again before adding any chemicals, CYA still 40, CH 180 and TA -70. I guess water wasn't mixed properly yet when I took original readings. Looks like I only need to add some Calcium and Stabilizer this year.

7. Back To Top    #7

Rafael, I would recommend a couple things okay:
    - Your PH is too high. You need to lower that per the Poolmath calculator (link below).
    - You need FC (free chlorine) right away. Anything below your minimum level as noted on the Chlorine/CYA chart (link below) will allow algae to return.

Those two items are very important, and I would not hesitate to start working on those right away. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Did you read my original posts ? I am already done with SLAMing process also I stated that I adjusted the PH prior to SLAMing.

9. Back To Top    #9

ha ha. Fair enough. I was asleep at that particular (PH) moment. On your note from 10:30 yesterday though, "Chlorine 0", was that intended to be for CC perhaps? That's why I mentioned about adding from bleach earlier.

As for completing a SLAM (3 years in a row) in such a short period of time ... don't let that secret get out or you'll have hundreds of new TFP'ers knocking on your door to do their SLAM.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    ha ha. Fair enough. I was asleep at that particular (PH) moment. On your note from 10:30 yesterday though, "Chlorine 0", was that intended to be for CC perhaps? That's why I mentioned about adding from bleach earlier.

As for completing a SLAM (3 years in a row) in such a short period of time ... don't let that secret get out or you'll have hundreds of new TFP'ers knocking on your door to do their SLAM.
    I believe that post at 10:33 (shows 3:33 for me) was just stating that those were my original readings before I started SLAMing on Saturday night.
    I will try to not to let the secret out :P but I do not think I am doing anything special I just think my water stays clear over the winter. I let the rain and snow fill the pool. Also I found that the bleach I use must me much stronger then labeled because my FC levels shoot a lot higher then suggested during SLAMing period. Maybe that speeds up the process?