Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Install SWG in return line or to the infloor system (caretaker 99).

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Install SWG in return line or to the infloor system (caretaker 99).

I'm replacing nearly all my equipment. I got to thinking if I should keep my SWG (new Pentair IC40) on the pool filter return lines or would it be better to have it plumbed into the caretaker system. My gut tells me to keep it on the pool returns as the high level of chlorine wreak havoc on the caretaker water valves? Thoughts?
    25K gallon in ground pool with attached heated spa (~600 gallons). Separately plumbed dual Caretaker 99 5 port valves and waterfall feature.
    3 X 1.5 HP MaxEglass II, (one for main filter(4.9 sq ft sand), one for Caretaker/waterfall, and one for Spa).
    Currently using Goldline Salt Chlorine Generater (T-Cell 15).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Install SWG in return line or to the infloor system (caretaker 99).

Hi CHlorine will wreak havoc on valves and other things like seals.

Install the SWG on the return line. Not only to protect the valves, but what if the infloor system quit working for whatever reason?

hope this helps,
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Also your SWG prefers clean water. Having it after your filter will make sure no debris gets into it.

BTW, I have no idea what a caretaker is, so forgive my ignorance.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

4. Back To Top    #4

Divin Dave,
    I didn't think about that...if the infloor is down for a week......going green. I'll keep it going into the returns. I saw a post on TFP and it was installed on the infloor system (Paramount I believe) and that made me at lest question it.
    Thanks all for the reply's.
    25K gallon in ground pool with attached heated spa (~600 gallons). Separately plumbed dual Caretaker 99 5 port valves and waterfall feature.
    3 X 1.5 HP MaxEglass II, (one for main filter(4.9 sq ft sand), one for Caretaker/waterfall, and one for Spa).
    Currently using Goldline Salt Chlorine Generater (T-Cell 15).

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup. Exactly.

Glad I could help

Quote Originally Posted by jrue View Post
    Divin Dave,
    I didn't think about that...if the infloor is down for a week......going green.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jrue View Post
    I'm replacing nearly all my equipment. I got to thinking if I should keep my SWG (new Pentair IC40) on the pool filter return lines or would it be better to have it plumbed into the caretaker system. My gut tells me to keep it on the pool returns as the high level of chlorine wreak havoc on the caretaker water valves? Thoughts?
    And put it in the pool return line after any valves going to the spa. You don't want the thing running when you're in spa mode whitening all your swimsuits.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    And put it in the pool return line after any valves going to the spa. You don't want the thing running when you're in spa mode whitening all your swimsuits.
    Hmm. Instructions say to install before the split to pool and spa, but I understand what you are saying. I have a Rainbow Inline chlorine feeder on my pool side return that I wanted to keep in case the SWG needed a boost (live in SW FL). However, I do not have enough room to have both after the split on the pool return. 1) I could re-plumb to keep both; 2) Put SWG before split; or 3) Remove Rainbow feeder and just use SWG.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
    16k gal, IG pool and spa, pool 29x14, pebble, 1983, 1.5" plumbing, Pentair Intelliflo VSP, Pentair Quad DE, Zodiac Aqualink Z4-PSi, AquaRite T15 SWG, Aquatherm AT115