Heater - Heat Pump a better option?

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
Solar heater just isn't an option. We use a solar cover, but it still doesn't get us there. Well, the kids don't mind it, but it's too cold for me. 80 is probably what I want, unless it's really hot out.

A 7,600 gallon pool, so what would you consider to heat this pool?

Taxes and fees included:
Gas is $1.04 Ccf
Electric is 16 cents per kWh

With gas I have the cost of the gas line, meter installation, etc. However, I had always been tempted to run gas for the back yard grill. Still, I'm thinking electric heat pump is the "cleaner" option.

I read some good reviews on the Pentair Heat Pump 125,000 BTU UltraTemp 120. Price @ $2,900.

I have both because I use the heat pump for the pool and propane heater for the spa. Having an issue with my ~10 year old heat pump currently so I can now heat the pool with propane.

If I had NG at this house, I would use only a NG heater. With the size of your pool, and a decent sized gas heater, you could warm it up in short order.

The heat pump, when working, does a great job of starting the season early and extending the season.

I'd give the nod to NG, especially in conjunction with a NG grill worked to the house. I had that at my two previous homes and loved not having to fool with propane tanks.

Being in PA you probably don't get real warm real quick outside. You have to remember that a heat pump relies on the outside temp to heat the pool. So any cool days during the summer you probably won't get much heat.

Since you have natural gas, that's a lot cheaper than propane. You can heat your pool on a whim for a weekend and due it rather quickly. A heat pump won't do it it at all.

You mention the cost of the heat pump but you will also probably have to include the cost of some electrical work as well as it should have it's own dedicated 240 connection.

THanks. Yeah, I figured the electrician, but gas install will be more expensive I'm sure, since they have to run a line. If that line has to be underground, it could get ugly. It's probably 30 feet depending on where we put the heater and if I recall that itself was an issue, due to code. Where the heater needs to be placed. I don't have a large yard. My signature used to read sun from 10AM. Now it's 11:30, probably 11:45 until the pool is completely covered by sun. That tree is killing me. With that tree cut down a bit, I would get sun from 9AM. I might try to approach the neighbor. Even if I pay for it, it might be worth it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.