Hayward Filter and drain question

Gizelle

Silver Supporter
Jun 12, 2015
Genoa city, wi
I am a brand new member who has enjoyed the benefits of reading the TFP information for quite some time but has never posted. So let me start by saying that I have read as many posts and pool school posts/threads as possible, but I am not finding what I am looking for (most likey because I don't have the right terminology to search?) so I apologize if there is a post for this problem that I missed and if these questions seem beyond basic. That being said, here goes: I am obviously new to pool ownership. I recently opened my small pool, which I purchased last year but was set up by the installers. So...I think there should be to photos with this post. 1) everything seems to be running fine, I have some water leaking out of the lock rings on the filter lid when the pump is on. Is it because I don't have it screwed on all the way? If so, how do I make it tighter. I have tried depressing the safety lock clips and pressing down and turning it more, but nothing happens. Do I need to take the lid off and start again, and if so, how do I do that without water flying everywhere. I don't think I have a handle to shut off the water going into the chlorinator thing (NatureVisionPro) nor do I have one going from there to the pool outlet. I would really, really appreciate anyone's help! And don't worry, I am not offended if anyone is laughing at, what is most likely, a really dumb question. Thanks ahead of time!!

Welcome! :wave:

You can stop the water by whittling down a potato or a carrot and cramming it in the openings inside the pool. Then drain the water out the drain plug on the filter. Then open the top and check the big O-ring. It should be free of nicks and cuts and grit. It should feel greasy. If it doesn't, you want a tube of pool lube from the <gasp> pool store or some silicon grease from the hardware store. Get that big O-ring all slimed and reinstall it and try cinching down the lid again. Reinstall the drain plug and remove the vegetables.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.