Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Here we go!

1. Back To Top    #1

Here we go!

Tomorrow is put up day & my son said we are doing it rain or shine, ha ha. I'm sure he will change his mind but I'm declaring no rain!! I went to town today & bought 4 gallons of liquid chlorine 10% for $13.30. Walmart's bleach is $2.94 for 121 oz-not sure if any of you caught that yet, but the big bottles of grocery store bleach are no longer a full gallon. I figured that out to be $12.43 for 4 gallons unit price 8.25% bleach. Leslie's was a dollar cheaper plus WalMart's liquid chlorine was 12 % at roughly same price per gallon but I was on a time schedule today due to air man coming out (yay) so I stayed close to where I was shopping instead of going into several stores/driving a few miles around town. I didn't get CYA b/c of someone telling me I wouldn't need it until I receive my T-100 test kit anyway, which is due to arrive on the 19th. So.....do I need anything else to start? And when should I add the bleach? It's going to take a while to fill so do I wait until half full, all the way full, or add from the get go? We are supposed to have scattered T-storms for the next few days so will that impact when to add bleach? Thanks in advance!!
    24 x 52 intex AG round with well water-water has no issues with rust or other contaminants
    2800 GPH Intex sand filter pump
    Located in Missouri

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Here we go!

Need, I am sure one of the fabulous experts will help with all of your questions. I just wanted to say good luck and it will work great. I am just about finished with the SLAM and the pool looks great. Lots of helpful and encouraging people along the way!
    20,000 gallon IG gunnite pool. Hayward DE filter. built 2004. more info to come.

3. Back To Top    #3

welcome to tfp
    using pool math type in your pool volume
    then add 0 fc as current and 4 as target
    add 0 cya and 30 as target
    i would reccomend you do add enough cya to bring you to 30ppm
    it wont show up on tests for a week anyway
    put it in an old sock and hang in front of filter return
    cya will stop the sun burning all your fc off
    add enough bleach to reach 3 or 4 ppm
    that water is going to be cold for a while
    but children will go in until they are blue
    then thaw out and back in again
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

4. Back To Top    #4

Congrats on the new pool. Wait until it is full and the pump is running. Add 30ppm of CYA in a sock and hang it in front of a return or toss it in a skimmer. Bring chlorine up to target for 30ppm of CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
    TFPC for Beginners
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
    Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
    Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

New pool

You don't have to wait to add CYA. You know there will be none in tap water, so poolmath can tell you how much to add to get from zero to whatever your target is pretty accurately as long as you input the correct pool volume.

You're sort of handicapped without a pH tester. Even a <gasp> test strip will work for that. pH is the one test they usually test correctly. Ignore the rest. Maybe a friend or neighbor will give you a couple strips or let you borrow their pH tester? As long as you call them AFTER the pool is up and full, they probably wouldn't be afraid to come over and help.

My usual advice
    1) Fill pool and get pump going. Look for leaks.
    2) Add 2 FC. Poolmath will tell you how much that is.
    3) Measure out the CYA granules into a sock and set it in the skimmer or dangle it in front of a return.
    4) By then the water has had plenty of time to mix so you test and adjust pH then.

Keep FC at 2 the first day, then 3 until the CYA is dissolved and then set the FC to the target for whatever your calculated CYA is.

What chemicals to use to do what and how to add them Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Have fun tomorrow! Go ahead and get and put in the CYA using pool math like said above.

Make sure to take pics of it!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks-you guys rock! Of course the one thing I didn't think I need, I do, but will be back in town on Sunday so can pick it up then. Yes, kiddos don't care at all about water temp, LOL. Richard, I do have a pH tester-just the cheapo Walmart thing, but I have it!! Can't wait & hope the rain stays away......
    24 x 52 intex AG round with well water-water has no issues with rust or other contaminants
    2800 GPH Intex sand filter pump
    Located in Missouri