Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What causes liners to suddenly have a hole during winter storage?

1. Back To Top    #1

What causes liners to suddenly have a hole during winter storage?

Ive read a few threads now where people setup their above ground pools after storing it for the winter. Is it from folding it too tightly and causing a crease and eventually a tear? Im planning to setup my pool for this season which i stored loosely in a box in the garage, and im worried that it will suddenly have formed a hole, and the only way to find out is AFTER filling it up.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What causes liners to suddenly have a hole during winter storage?

Mice would be my guess.
    Michigan - 24'x54" AG, approx 15,000g, 2 center drains, Cartridge filter, Aqua Pro 2hp, 2 speed pump 3.5a@1725w / 10.5a@3450w, AquaCal TropiCal T90 heat pump, Hayward Salt & Swim SWG, Poolskim, Aquabot Rover Jr.

3. Back To Top    #3

I wish I knew. In between years 2-3 mine got a tiny pinhole fairly close to the edge. Luckily we caught it at setup and were able to locate it and patch it. I can only assume somewhere during the take down, drying, folding, storing, or setting up something poked it.

4. Back To Top    #4

How do you manage to find a pinhole? Especially with all the squares in the design of the liner making you cross-eyed

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Spades View Post
    How do you manage to find a pinhole? Especially with all the squares in the design of the liner making you cross-eyed
    While filling we noticed a puddle in one spot while we only had a couple inches of water in the pool. I got in the pool grabbed the sidewall and pulled the side back. The wife dried everything up with a towel. We put it back down just for a bit and then I pulled it back again. There was just a small puddle that got us pretty close. The wife dried off the pool and watched from the outside where we had narrowed it down to til she saw some drops, then I just located it on the inside. It was a tiny dark speck.

A few things we had going for us. We have an "easy set" so I could just get in and pull the side back. We noticed it when there was only a little bit of water. It was close to the edge. The pool is set up on a polystyrene pad so the puddle was easy to see and wipe up.
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer