Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK Geniuses

1. Back To Top    #1

OK Geniuses

Found this site 2 years ago ish, Switched to BBB TFP method and ALL is good. Well besides the wife. Even tho we spend pennies on the dollar compared to before I switched to BBB the wife came home today with a 80 dollar bucket of chlorine tablets and a new floaty. I laughed and politely asked why ??? Said she likes the smell of the chlorine tablets. Mind you the pool is perfect. Numbers are perfect. Opened it up weeks ago for less than 20$....

I just dont get it.

Am i losing my man card or mind ? WHAT the ___ ____ do I do ?
    20K gal, Fiberglass, 1.5 hp Century Pump, Sta-Rit System 3 Model PLM-100, 100 SQ Foot. Inline Frogger Chlorinater Mineral pack removed, adjusted the Chlorine pac to put in my own when on vacation. Liquid Pool Sanitizer,, BBB style.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OK Geniuses

Unless you really want high CYA....... you know what to do
    Lomart 18x48 AGP 7000Gal
    Hayward S210T w/Hayward 1hp Power-Flo Matrix Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 w/Speedstir!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Put one puck in it and float it in the pool only when she is in the pool. Happy wife, happy life.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What I would want to say and what I would say are two different things of course

One option is to put the floater in the pool empty and never fill it except for vacations. Assuming she doesn't touch it she may never know.

Another option is to tell her that smell is the smell of an unsanitary pool and see what she says to that.

Another option, most likely a very bad option, is to print off every pool school article. Give her the stack of papers, the test kit, and tell her that if she wants to use tabs in the pool then she can take over maintenance because you won't use them.

Or wait for one of the female members to give you better advice. That is probably the far, far better idea...

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

"You're absolutely right, dear. I'll get on it right away"
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Just so you know one puck will raise your CYA by approximately 1.5.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    "You're absolutely right, dear. I'll get on it right away"
    I can tell you are a "happily married man".
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Start out with a low CYA at around 30ppm and just put one puck in the floater and add liquid chlorine on the side.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

8. Back To Top    #8

OK Geniuses

Do you have a wood chipper??

If so put the pucks in it and spray over Lake Michigan!

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

9. Back To Top    #9

Now you just need a patent on chlorine-smelling air fresheners for the car and home.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Get some white hockey pucks and switch them.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Well Racer, you asked for a genius, and one has appeared. James, I bow down to you for this one!
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Well Racer, you asked for a genius, and one has appeared. James, I bow down to you for this one!
    Yep. I agree. That will work even when he's gone.

All I could think of if his wife likes the chloramine smell is to take a leak while he's in the pool, but that doesn't work when he's gone.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

This thread made me laugh out loud.

I'm the wife in this pool ownership scenario and my husband doesn't have much more that the slightest clue about water testing. He doesn't know how for sure how to hook up the vacuum hose to vacuum the pool. I'll give him credit for finally helping me with chlorine testing during a SLAM this year while I was at work and he works from home. If only you could hear those telephone instructions......that magnetic bar for the speed stir is now "the bean"

I'm frugal......so I'd say try to return what she bought and show her this thread or this post.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    This thread made me laugh out loud.

I'm the wife in this pool ownership scenario and my husband doesn't have much more that the slightest clue about water testing. He doesn't know how for sure how to hook up the vacuum hose to vacuum the pool. I'll give him credit for finally helping me with chlorine testing during a SLAM this year while I was at work and he works from home. If only you could hear those telephone instructions......that magnetic bar for the speed stir is now "the bean"

I'm frugal......so I'd say try to return what she bought and show her this thread or this post.
    Me too AimeeH...the hubs doesn't know the different between my Kreepy krawly or leaf catcher, skimmer or pump basket. Testing? His eyes glaze over. The smell of chlorine is a mind trick. I remember thinking our family pool 40 yrs ago must be clean as long as I smelled the chlorine. I still love the smell but also know it doesn't mean jack.

Put one in a bucket of water beside the pool and she should be able to smell it.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

15. Back To Top    #15

Can you use those as drop-in-the-tank-toilet-bowl-cleaner-smelly-good-things?
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by northrn View Post
    Can you use those as drop-in-the-tank-toilet-bowl-cleaner-smelly-good-things?
    You can... just don't count on the toilet's hardware to like it very much. The metallic stuff will start to corrode, and the rubber seals will degrade as well. But on the bright side, the bowl will be sparkly clean.

One other thing, the Clorox toilet tablets are 3.5 oz and last for 3 months before fully dissolved. An 8 oz trichlor puck dissolves in about a week. I could only imagine both the spike in chlorine and the drop in PH in a few gallons of water.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

So I'm waiting to hear what the OP actually decided to do?......
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    LOL,,, Am a Hockey player of many many years so I do have an extra around but if she ever found out it would NOT be pretty.. Then everything I do would be in question..

SRY for the return delay ! On the day she brought the pucks home & I asked for the help.lol She says OH BTW the washing machine is making a real bad knocking noise so that issue has sucked any free time I had..

After I calmed down we had a nice talk. She is my best friend but sometimes is very stubborn and would not let go of the idea until I showed her her the BBB method and the Spreadsheet I got on here for the data logs. We discussed the savings, She sighed and eventually took them back

THANKS Everyone !!!!!!
    20K gal, Fiberglass, 1.5 hp Century Pump, Sta-Rit System 3 Model PLM-100, 100 SQ Foot. Inline Frogger Chlorinater Mineral pack removed, adjusted the Chlorine pac to put in my own when on vacation. Liquid Pool Sanitizer,, BBB style.

19. Back To Top    #19

I'm glad it worked out and you are lucky they took it back since some stores will not take back chemicals, even if unopened.

It's interesting that she liked the smell of Trichlor tabs since they smell much worse than bleach because they produce a little nitrogen trichloride that is very smelly and irritating though their main smell is that of chlorine. This is one reason why they now individually wrap Trichlor pucks when there's more than just a few in a bucket. There are also reasons for individual wrapping for transport, but mostly it's because there had been (in years past) a few deaths and injuries from people opening up large 50-100 pound Trichlor containers and getting overwhelmed with the fumes.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

20. Back To Top    #20

I think that some smells can be associated with things people remember from their past where they had a good experience. Perhaps she remembers the smell from a pool where she used to swim. Another example would be people associating the smell of lighter fluid and charcoal with barbequing. Therefore, things don't necessarily need to be good for someone for them to want or like the smell.

A note about switching the tabs for hockey pucks: It was just supposed to be funny and never serious. Being honest and working things out to everyone's satisfaction is always the best way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast