Chemical Issues

Jun 12, 2015
New England
Hello,

I'm having monumental issues getting my pool chemicals balanced this year. Things were good two weeks ago after having added Cyanuric acid, Calcium, Chlorine, and eventually and anti-metal solution to lower the Copper levels. Two days ago the pool started getting algae green but my test strips showed the Chlorine levels as stable. It turns out the test strips were moldy and none of the numbers were accurate. Today, after buying fresh test strips:

pH = 7.8
Free Chlorine = 5
Alkalinity = in the 180 territory
Stabilizer = between 30 and 50

I'm not sure of I have an algae bloom or another surge in metals. I've already spent $200+ in chemicals and was hoping for some advice as to what this may be so I can avoid buying way more than I need. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Metals do not come out of your water nor are they added to your water (unless you put them in)

Test strips moldy or new are pretty much worthless and will make it impossible to analyze your pool.

Have you had the pool water tested for metals?

Please change your zip code to a city, state so we can judge your climate.

Not good news at all. Green is not a good look on a pool :(

There is one more thing you need for you pool--------------a good test kit so you will not be "pool stored" any more. You can find the link to the test kits we use and love in my siggy.

With a good test kit you can "fix" your pool with stuff from Walmart! Bleach is our main "tool" to fix a pool. If you do have metal in your water it might be a little harder but it is fixable.

Kim

Thank you both for the quick replies! I updated my location to a generalized area solely for privacy. I am in New England which should provide an idea of the climate. I've also added an image as a frame of reference (not sure if this will help).

pool.jpg

Wow. That is classic green, Without a proper test kit, you can only do so much. For now I would suggest:
#1 -Order a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 (link below). That's priority 1!
#2 - If you have any kit at all, try to keep PH at 7.2 for now before you "SLAM"
#3 - Add one gallon of bleach to the pool each day just to keep the status quo.
#4 - Do NOT use any more products from the pool store, ask for their advice, or testing. Just a waste of your money
#5 - Read thoroughly the "SLAM" link below. You'll use it when your kit arrives.

Others may reply as well if I missed anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

That certainly looks like an algae bloom. Algae is really only caused by lack of chlorine. Has your pool spent some time with low or no chlorine recently?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.