Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need a Robot?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need a Robot?

Our pool comes with an MX-8 but I don't know if I need a Robot in addition or instead or at all. I don't have any tree's near my pool so leaves wont really be an issue but being in Oklahoma, blowing dirt is. I guess I don't really understand the differences between a suction side cleaner and a robot. Any help would be much appreciated.
    My Pool Build Thread: 21 x 40 Freeform Gunite Pool, 12" Tanning Ledge, 3.5 shallow graduating to 4.5, 8.5 deep end, 4' Waterfall which doubles as a diving ledge with 6' x 4' Grotto underneath, 670 sq. ft., 106 Linear ft., Rock Salted Concrete Deck, Pentair 520 Filter, Intelli flow 3 HP VS pump, (4) Color LED lights, Intelli-Chlor SWG, Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub with ACE and BT Sound System, ODK, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Do I need a Robot?

You do not need the MX-8 AND a robot. Usually you only have 1 cleaner. I would see how the MX-8 does for you maybe in the future consider a robot.

I had 2 robots, both died, and now I have a suction PoolCleaner. The suction is less work as far as cleaning the cleaner, but does put the dirt into the filter so it needs more attention. I have a tendency to want to leave the cleaner in the pool, no problem with the suction cleaner ... could be why the robots died after a few years.

Check out: Pool School - Automatic Pool Cleaners
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Carlsbad, NM

Re: Do I need a Robot?

I too have ThePoolCleaner. Best cleaner I have owned. I leave it in the pool 95% of the time. Like Jason said, it does lead to more back washing. That is the only downside I can think of.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.