new liner install need ideas on vermiculite pool bottom repair

Jun 12, 2015
NC
Hi Everyone!
I have had a 18X36 pool that was built 12 years ago. A wind storm blew a trampoline into the pool and destroyed the liner. After removing the old liner the vermiculite bottom has to be patched in spots due to damage. I have someone to do the patching but after looking at the rest of the bottom there seems to be a lot of rough places with build up and he said he could put a layer over the entire pool but it would be costly, he recommended sanding the rough places and then painting the entire bottom with an epoxy type concrete paint. He said it would be cheaper than retrowling the entire bottom and it would help seal it and give it a smooth surface which would make the liner last a lot longer. I have already sanded and repainted the steel walls to fix rust spots. Does anyone know if the epoxy paint would be OK on the vermiculite or if it would harm the new vinyl liner?? I have searched the internet but have not seen where this was ever done, but it comes from a landscaper and concrete expert that's been in the business for many years and he said that's what he would do if it was his pool. Thanks for any comments or ideas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.