Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: failed plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

failed plaster

Can someone please advise. I had my pool replastered four years ago. They did not use a bonding agent. The plaster is actually breaking off in pieces, it's not cracking along the walls or bottom, it's a big hole where the blue plaster they put down now shows the white plaster beneath it. Is it still a standard in the industry (I'm in Virginia) to simply etch a pool when replastering?
    I have an inground pool in Northern Virginia built by Anthony Pools. It is approximately 38 years old. It was replastered twice by the former owner of the home and once by me four years ago with the blue additive to the plaster. We take great care of it, have an automatic vacuum and keep it heated sporadically.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: failed plaster

Welcome to TFP!!!

It is common to either etch the original plaster and I think use a bonding agent if the current layer of plaster is not flaking ... or do a full chip out down to the shell before the replaster. I think the 2nd is the better option.

Sounds like that company that did the work did not do an adequate inspection or preparation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!