Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this on my plaster in drained pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this on my plaster in drained pool?

First time poster - long time reader.

I drained my pool to acid wash it. I know this isn't really advised but I was trying to get rid of black algae and just couldn't maintain a SLAM long enough to win.

Pool is drained and I've cleaned it with both acid and bleach. This is what the side of my pool still looks like. I think the darker spots are probably still black algae that I just need to attack again. What are the browner parts and what should I do before filling? (As I put in my signature my pool was built in 2005, I know I'm nearing the end of my plaster lifespan.)

Thanks in advance for the help - sorry if I'm missing some needed information.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Houston, Texas
    18000 gallon in ground pool, Cartridge Filters, 2.5 HP pump, white plaster finish. Pool built in 2005

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this on my plaster in drained pool?

Welcome! Sorry I can't make it out from the pic, but I'm sure others will reply soon. Didn't want you to think we missed you. Have a good weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hard to say, but could still be calcium scaling.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Hard to say, but could still be calcium scaling.

I kind of thought that it was calcium scaling. Acid washing isn't removing it very well so I was confused.

Any suggestions?
    Houston, Texas
    18000 gallon in ground pool, Cartridge Filters, 2.5 HP pump, white plaster finish. Pool built in 2005

5. Back To Top    #5

Any chance the darker spots are the concrete under the plaster showing through? Hard to see from the pictures.
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PoolESQ View Post
    Any chance the darker spots are the concrete under the plaster showing through? Hard to see from the pictures.
    I thought that is what they were too initially...but it isn't. I used muratic acide and bleach (not at the same time) to clean the pool as best I could and filled it back up. Resigned to the fact that a new plaster job is in the near future.
    Houston, Texas

7. Back To Top    #7

They say 10 years is about the shelf life of a plaster job, so you probably will need to plaster soon. I just went though that myself. It was costly, but so happy I did it. It's like having a brand new pool. There are so many new colors and types of plaster out there to chose from. Good luck!
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

8. Back To Top    #8

Who is "they"?

Plaster can last a good bit longer than 10 years if the chemistry is properly maintained.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Jason,

"They" = JasonLion

See 2nd post:

Pool finishes...pebble vs plaster...opinions?

10. Back To Top    #10

Nice! Of course those are pretty big generalizations as he also implies.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

That's what my white plaster looked like before I re-plastered a year ago. Go with the pebble sheen for longevity when you redo it. I hope I never have to do it again because of the $$$$.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System