What is this on my plaster in drained pool?

Jun 19, 2010
First time poster - long time reader.

I drained my pool to acid wash it. I know this isn't really advised but I was trying to get rid of black algae and just couldn't maintain a SLAM long enough to win.

Pool is drained and I've cleaned it with both acid and bleach. This is what the side of my pool still looks like. I think the darker spots are probably still black algae that I just need to attack again. What are the browner parts and what should I do before filling? (As I put in my signature my pool was built in 2005, I know I'm nearing the end of my plaster lifespan.)

Thanks in advance for the help - sorry if I'm missing some needed information.

Attachments

• 20150612_141955.jpg
    20150612_141955.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20150612_142000.jpg
    20150612_142000.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 94
Any chance the darker spots are the concrete under the plaster showing through? Hard to see from the pictures.

I thought that is what they were too initially...but it isn't. I used muratic acide and bleach (not at the same time) to clean the pool as best I could and filled it back up. Resigned to the fact that a new plaster job is in the near future.

They say 10 years is about the shelf life of a plaster job, so you probably will need to plaster soon. I just went though that myself. It was costly, but so happy I did it. It's like having a brand new pool. There are so many new colors and types of plaster out there to chose from. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's what my white plaster looked like before I re-plastered a year ago. Go with the pebble sheen for longevity when you redo it. I hope I never have to do it again because of the $$$$.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.