Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dry Acid vs Muriatic Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Dry Acid vs Muriatic Acid

Hello,
    I really want to continue to follow the TFP/ BBB method as it has been giving me stellar results since I opened for this swim season. My question is what are the disadvantages of using dry acid over Muriatic Acid? Prior to joining the TFP website I purchased a 30 lbs. bucket of pH minus (sodium bisulfite I think?). I was just wondering if it is all that bad to use versus muriatic acid since I dropped $59 bucks on the stuff....I promise not to buy it again!

FC 7
    TA 100
    CC 0
    CYA 75
    pH 7.6
    30k gal vinyl IG, 24 sqft Hayward DE filter, 1.5 HP Hayward single speed pump, Raytec gas heater, Polaris 280, Taylor 2006 test kit, bleach 8.25%

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dry Acid vs Muriatic Acid

It adds Sulfates to the water. Long term use can lead to Crystals forming, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to use up what you have.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

It's not bad to use occasionally, but using it will build up sulfates in your pool. This can be bad for concrete surfaces, tiling and other pool related surfaces. Read a synopsis here and you can download the full .pdf. Sulphate attack |
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Since you've got it, use it. There are a lot of threads about it if you try the search box. Here's a recent one Acid - Dry or Liquid?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks so much!!!
    30k gal vinyl IG, 24 sqft Hayward DE filter, 1.5 HP Hayward single speed pump, Raytec gas heater, Polaris 280, Taylor 2006 test kit, bleach 8.25%

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    It's not bad to use occasionally, but using it will build up sulfates in your pool. This can be bad for concrete surfaces, tiling and other pool related surfaces. Read a synopsis here and you can download the full .pdf. Sulphate attack |
    My understanding is it can also damage a SWCG cell.

I know the OP isn't using one, but I just wanted to put that out there for anyone else reading this thread who may be using a SWCG.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004