New Chlorine User - Need advice on maintaining readings

May 25, 2015
Marion, KY
Thanks to TFPs, we successfully converted from Baquacil over a week ago. Pool has been PERFECT! Today I'm starting to see a change and wanted advice. Pool has lost its "sheen" and is a bit cloudy. Also, there was what seemed to be a green film on the bottom that we easily brushed away. First bit of water after backwashing was slightly green, but now no signs of anything green. We've had no rain but also not much activity in pool to stir it.

My readings are:
FC - 0
CC - 0.5
CH - 250
TA - 90
CYA - 0
PH - 7.5

I've added the liquid bleach (3qts=2cups) per pool math and have put stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer. I still have the Calcium Chloride and Baking Soda to add.

So here are my questions:
1-What order, with allotted time in between, should chemicals be added?
2-I see no mention in the things I've read about adding algaecide. Have I missed something?
3-Is the green we saw this morning normal or is it indicating a problem?

I want my clear water back:) Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Don't add anything to those numbers other than cya and fc

- - - Updated - - -

No algaecide, your TA and PH are perfect. You saw algae because your fc was 0.....always keep fc at the target level for your cya.

YOu have algae growing because your Free Chlorine level is 0. It will go back to 0 quickly because a) any FC you add now will be used up fighting algae, and b) because you have no CYA stabilizer in the pool, so the sun will eat it up also.

I'm not sure you successfully used TFP if after your conversion you had no CYA. Ideally, you should have 30-50 reading of CYA, and maintain at least the minimum FC level for you size pool according to the pool math calculator.

If you already have an algae outbreak, you may need to start slamming the pool to defeat it. If the water is mostly clear it may not take too long. Please read the SLAM instructions in pool school. quick summary: get pH to around 7.2 Get CYA to around 30. Add liquid chlorine to get FC to SLAM level until you pass the three tests. Test FC level often while the pump runs 24/7 so you can keep adding FC to keep it above that SLAM level.

The TFP method involves adding chlorine each day. Once your SLAM is done successfully, you will need to attend to the pool for a few minutes each day to get your FC level correct.

So no calcium chloride or baking soda? And when I look at the CYA/chlorine chart I'm a bit confused since my CYA seems to be zero. I guess I need to get my CYA up then start the slam.

Can swimming happen during this process?

That loss of shimmer is the first sign of cloudiness. It is also the most noticable thing between a TFP pool and a "normal" pool, but I digress.

Your TA is fine if your pH is holding stable. Since you have a vinyl liner you don't need to worry about your CH.

I wouldn't swim at SLAM levels with zero CYA since it has absolutely nothing buffering it and will be very harsh on skin and swimsuits. Once you add enough CYA to get your level to 30 and it has all dissolved then you can swim up to SLAM level with no problem.

So to answer your questions one by one:
1. Add chlorine to get your FC up to 10 (do not swim at this time), add enough CYA to get you to 30 via the sock method. You don't need to mess with anything else. Once all of your CYA is dissolved you can treat your pool as having 30 CYA, even if it doesn't show up on the test yet. At this point raise your SLAM FC level and NOW it is safe to swim up to SLAM FC level. Continue your SLAM fully as per the directions Scuba_Steve posted.

2. You don't need an algaecide, you just need to keep your FC levels above the minimum for your CYA.

3. Green in a pool is never a good thing.

Don't worry, this is a fairly normal "oops", it happens to most of us. Just follow the steps above and you will be able to get things back in to shape. You caught it early so it should go fairly smoothly!

Thanks again for the step-by-step. My only issue now is I've got about 25 people coming tomorrow for a pool party :( Also the amount of stabilizer it suggested was so much I had to split it up and the first round has dissolved and I'm getting ready to put the second round in. I know I would be wasting chlorine but as long as I kept my levels around three or four tomorrow and then raise them to the slam level tomorrow night would that be safe?

Since your first round of stabilizer is already dissolved you have some in your pool. That little bit makes quite a difference over having none when it comes to chlorine buffering, so you can keep your FC level up around 10 today and then let it come down tomorrow. You should be just fine with an FC around 4-5 tomorrow during the party, and if you keep your FC up tonight with your filter running you may just find your pool looking good in the morning.

You will want to continue your SLAM after the party to make sure everything is gone, but letting it drop a bit to for a party won't hurt anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So after pool party FC was 0, so added liquid bleach and reading went to 18 (after sun went down). This morning before sun it was at 12, but this evening it's back to 1:( I need to buy stock in clorox!! I suppose I keeping trying. Pool looks PERFECT with just a very few spots of debris in the bottom, but that's to be expected after having so many swim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.