Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do I have?

1. Back To Top    #1

What do I have?

Can someone tell me what a Super Concentrated Clarifier is used for or if it should be used? Is this the same as conditioner?? Finally, finally got my CYA down and now it's too low (20).
    Pool size = 16,000 gal, IG Fiberglass, 2 speed hayward pump with cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What do I have?

We do not recommend the use of clarifiers ... it is not the same as conditioner/stabilizer/CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Mod Squad

Is there a recommended product to raise my CYA? I'm going to the pool store today and want to make sure I'm asking for the right item. This is the first time I've had LOW Cya issues.
    Pool size = 16,000 gal, IG Fiberglass, 2 speed hayward pump with cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Do not go to the pool store (so they do not talk you into buying any garbage) ... you can get the stabilizer at Walmart. Look for the ingredient to be near 100% cyanuric acid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

CYA is cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer. I usually buy mine at Lowe's.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

You can use the "sock method" near your skimmer to add the required amount of stabilizer to your pool as instructed in the Poolmath calculator (link below).

Also, gotta ask the formalities:

- Which test kit do you have?
    - What city/part of the country are you located (assuming TX?)
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Super Concentrated Clarifier is used to remove money from the pool owner's wallet.

It is just repackaged

CYA is also called Stabilizer. I agree, go to a big box store with a pool section and start reading labels. It will say Cyanuric Acid or Isocyanuric acid or something like that. The description will say "protects chlorine from sun damage" or words along those lines. Look for 99 or 100% pure stuff. And ignore their directions for adding. Follow the method we give in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I've had good luck with the HTH brand from Wallyworld. The granules are finer than other brands, meaning it dissolves more quickly using the sock-return method.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

Guess I will pass on the Snake Oil, LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you JVTrain!

- - - Updated - - -

Texas Splash, yes you guessed it, I'm near San Antonio. I'm using the TF-100 kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

We're pool neighbors then. Enjoy your weekend. Let us know if you need anything else.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Snake oil, magic potions... Both good names for most of the products the pool store will sell you. The others are basically products you can find at a grocery store with rebranded pool store names. That makes them cost 3x as much.

In all reality, following these methods you should never go to the pool store again. CYA and Muriatic Acid are the only chems that are not commonly found in the grocery section, but it is still at Walmart and Lowes. MA is usually found in the pool section or the paint section in Lowes btw. Also baking soda is usually found in the pool section at Walmart in a huge bag, rather than using the little boxes.

Also please add the TF-100 to your signature and your location to your profile. Texas is a big place. People will ask you every thread you make, so it makes things easier on both you and us to get it out there.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links