Need some advice on getting control

MrPeeJ

Jun 11, 2015
Philadelphia
Hey everybody, I just want to thank you in advance for this amazing site. Just from lurking for about a week now I feel I have learned so much and just scratched the surface. I opened the pool and had a green swamp, different chemicals blah blah. Anyways after the pool got clear, busted pump, more green than back to clear. I could never keep the green away for more than a week. I found this site and ordered my TF-100 and it came this morning. I had taken two water samples to Leslie's and was told my Cya was 80 and than 70. I had a crack in my steps that I had to lower the water level down for so I took the chance to drain about 60% of the pool. I filled it back up today in preparation for the kit to come. There is some green spots on the liner but the water is clear. I did my first test and I was devastated. I kept getting a Cya of 60-70 and 2 other times I thought 80. I probably did the test 8 times. My other numbers look like this:
FC-0
CC-2 although I was a bit confused because it went pink to purple
ph-6.8
TA-30 did not turn red but clear
CH-30
CYA-60-70

according to pool math I figure initially I'm looking at 550oz of liquid chlorine 12.5% or 99oz of cal hypo 73% for a sock level of 28. 32 oz of soda ash and 316 oz of baking soda.

I have a 5 gallon drum lof 12% LQ, 6lbs of cal hypo 73% on hand. What I am upset about is what happened with the CYA? I was almost worried I took too much. I know Leslie's can be inaccurate but I was with the guy talking about my CYA while we did it. I know over 100 a lot of inaccuracies come into play. Any advice on where to go from here is much appreciated.

Thanks!

patrick

Hi Patrick and welcome! :wave: Others may be replying as well, but here's what I see for now:
- We'll go with the high CYA for now, so yes, that's an FC SLAM level of 28. It must stay there and not drop below (unless you decide to drain again to lower first)
- PH should be 7.2 in preparation for the SLAM. Poolmath calculator will tell you exactly how much borax to add.
- CC of 2 just confirms you need to SLAM (organic matter)
- TA low, and baking soda will raise TA, but careful! It can also raise PH a bit, so be careful how much you raise PH in advance (perhaps wait until after the SLAM to adjust)
- As for CYA, if you're confident you did it correctly with the TF-100, then it is what it is. Like I said above, you can drain to lower before SLAMming or treat as-is and go with higher FC SLAM levels. Up to you. It will lower over time through splash out and such. Just don't use powders, pucks, or anything like that again.

- - - Updated - - -

You've got the right kit, and you are using Poolmath to validate chemical amounts to add. You're doing well for yourself. If you have any more questions, just ask. Remember to re-read the SLAM instructions (link below).

Edit: Yeah what he said. I missed pH.

Never go to Leslie's again for testing. Their numbers are useless.

60-70 is still a little high. Not too terrible at all. You might ride with that until summer splashout gets you down closer to 50. Your call.

You need chlorine in there immediately. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Use pool math to determine how much http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Thank you for lurking, ordering a test kit and fixing your signature before posting. Great first post, it shows you're serious.

Thank you both for your quick responses and help. I'm definitely bummed about the CYA but it is what it is right now like you said. I'm gonna hold off on anymore draining for now until I see my water bill is after the refill haha. Hopefully as you mentioned with splash out I can get a little lower by the end of the summer. I just threw in the soda ash, when you say immediately is it ok to start the slam now or wait to recheck the ph?

my mistake after rereading the slam instructions it looks like I need to get up to 7.2 before I start. Thanks again.

If you are going to SLAM with your current CYA, then yes, adjust the PH to 7.2. Make sure it's there first. After that - hit hard. Lots of bleach on-hand and ready to keep the high FC level.

Remember: “Maintain” it that way until 3 objectives are met:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5

At the same time, continue to run your pump 24/7. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.