De fiber or Regular DE

Fiber is biodegradable, so wherever you blow your backwash water, it will break down. DE is petrified microorganisms, and since it hasn't decayed in a million years it won;t now. It will just leave a white crust where it lands. That's why I use fiber in my DE filter. I can backwash onto the front lawn.

There are probably ordinances somewhere about discharging backwash with DE in it. You could probably argue the case since cellulose is just highly refined sawdust.

I've put two cups and have waited ten minutes but my pressure is still at 9. The psi is always at 9 and I'm wondering if it is a defective gauge. The pumps been in use less than a month and I don't know how to tell if the gauge is working or not. Im nervous to add any more DE fiber but the gauge hasn't went up at all with 2cups of DE....?

I've put two cups and have waited ten minutes but my pressure is still at 9. The psi is always at 9 and I'm wondering if it is a defective gauge. The pumps been in use less than a month and I don't know how to tell if the gauge is working or not. Im nervous to add any more DE fiber but the gauge hasn't went up at all with 2cups of DE....?
Wise man. Just wait. Check it again in a couple hours.

When the pump is off, is the gauge reading zero?

That would be my first test .....

Yes it goes to zero when shut off. With 2cups of DE, After several hours it went up by almost one psi. I added another half cup and twelve hours later the pressure still hasn't changed. So with 2.5cups the psi change by about 0.75psi after almost 24hrs. With that said, the smaller white particles have all but disappeared and we are going to use it this afternoon. I'm getting positive visual change but the lack of psi change had me asking why and scratching my head a bit.

Do you have an old gauge that reads to 60psi? I found it very hard to see the 1psi change when I added DE so I have ordered a new gauge that only goes to 30 psi. With bigger numbers and more space between marks I'm hoping it makes it easy for me. I was ordering reagents anyway, so just added it to my order at tftestkits.net.

Not sure, I'll check this afternoon. That's a good idea, I think I'll do the same when I have to order reagents. Silly, such a simple and good solution but I never even looked at my gauges increment scale. I feel foolish since I deal with research data in life. Having my pool turn green isn't fun but it provided a lot of learning opportunities.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.