Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool cleaner stuck running backwards

1. Back To Top    #1
    Houston TX

pool cleaner stuck running backwards

I have a Pentair Racer that's a little over a year old

No problems until today when I noticed the cleaner is stuck running backwards

Normally the wheels propel it forward for several minutes then for about 60seconds it will lift itself
    with the nozzles and float backwards then resume spinning the wheels forward and crawl along the bottom of the pool
    again for several minutes and the cycle repeats

I know the Racer isn't as common as a polaris 280 or 380 but do these pressure side cleaners function that different from one another ?

Any ideas would be appreciated !!!

I could post video later
    23k gunite, Stonescapes Mini Aqua Blue w/seashell, Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter, 2 Pentair Intelli-Flo VS pumps, Pentair Mastertemp 400, Pentair EasyTouch 8+wireless controller, Silencer spa blower, 3 Intellibrite LEDs, Pentair Racer cleaner, Pentair 320 chlorinator
    my build

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: pool cleaner stuck running backwards

Sorry no one has responded. I think you'll have to get in touch with tech support.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you remember what your pool technician did to fix the problem with the cleaner stuck in reverse? I have the same cleaner and it's less than a year old and is having this problem. My technician is coming out in few days, but I'm curious what solved your problem? I've had 3-4 problems with this pool cleaner in 9 months and i'm worried about it after the warrant is up.

4. Back To Top    #4

From the little bit that I have learned and experienced, these pressure cleaners have a mechanical water driven timer that activates the reversing water flow. Make sure that your filter screen for the cleaner is intact. You may have a piece of sand or other debris present that has jammed up the works.

My unit has a filter screen in the supply hose where it connects to the side of the pool.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.