Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter pressure up 25% in first two hours of this normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter pressure up 25% in first two hours of this normal?

EDIT: Resolved. I stopped the pump, removed the pump basket and cleaned it out. It seemed relatively clean from the outside, but there were lots of little stones and bits of PVC sticking in the basket. Pressure is back to 15 psi again!

I got my pump working this morning...yay. One concern is that I see the sand filter already went from a "clean" pressure of 15psi to 19psi in the first couple of hours of operation. Is this normal? I skimmed the pool with a fine leaf rake as well as I could before turning on the pump. I also lifted out the skimmer baskets to ensure that they weren't causing the pressure increase.

Should I attempt to backflush and rinse?
    Last edited by sundog1973; 06-12-2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Updated with resolution
    11,400 gallon IG Vinyl liner pool 34' x 14' - 2 skimmers, 2 bottom drains, 3 LED RGB lights, 3 fountains
    Pump: Pentair 1HP and Badu Dual Jet 4.5HP - Filter: Pentair System 3 Sand filter
    Heater: Rheem 206K BTU - Test Kits: LaMotte ColorQ 7 and TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Re: Sand filter pressure up 25% in first two hours of this normal?

If the water is dirty even if you cannot see it, this can be normal. I would go ahead and backwash and then do a good rinse.
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process