Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chimineas - Are they for looks or warmth?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chimineas - Are they for looks or warmth?

My wife is bugging me about what to get me for my birthday and Christmas. We just put in a pool and patio and I was thinking one of these would be nice for late summer and early fall:

We’ve had a firepit, but the shifting smoke becomes a PIA after a bit. For those that have a chiminea, does it put out enough heat to take off the chill without sitting on top of it? Or is it strictly for the ambiance?
    Cleveland, Ohio
    20 x 46 Vinyl (self-built)
    Pentair Intelliflo VF pump : Pentair Quad D.E. 80 filter : Pentair IC-40 SWG : Raypak 335k N.G. heater
    Diving board : Slide : 4 Jandy Deck Jets : Automatic Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Chimineas - Are they for looks or warmth?

My good friend has a chiminea and it's always in use when we visit in cool weather. If there's a breeze, it's not very effective.

If the wind is still and you don't mind getting pretty close....say somewhere around 3-4 feet, they'll keep you fairly warm. Much further than that and their benefit diminishes quickly.

They do a good job of keeping the smoke above your head as long as you're sitting.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Ditto to Duraleigh....They are nice due to containing smoke and can use on a patio opposed to an open fire. But unless you are within 5' of it or less there isn't much heat radiating. The materials dont do anything to "spread" the heat zone, if anything its worse than an open fire distance wise.
    21K Gal, IG, Vinyl, Bleach-Borax-Baking Soda, 3/4HP Hayward pump, Hayward sand filter, 200,000BTU Heater, TF100 Testkit
    "All that we are arises with our thoughts." - Buddha
    “When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.” - Dale Carnegie

4. Back To Top    #4

What about a patio heater? I found an electric one at Sam's for under $200 ... sku=905228

There are also propane ones available if electricity is not available.

Just a thought.
    16 x 33 x 52" AG pool, Hayward Vari-flo pump & sand filter, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 1 return, Zodiac LM3 24,000 SWG, Pool Rover Jr., 2 kids & a million toys

5. Back To Top    #5
    Fort Worth TX

Not much heat from my Chiminea because of the limited amount of wood you can put in it. We bought it for looks and a way to burn pruning.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

6. Back To Top    #6
    Missouri City (suburb of Houston, TX)

We got a chiminea and it never gets used. It looks nice with a fire but puts out very little heat. We were at an event last night inside a tent and in the center, they had one of those large patio heaters and you could not sit within 4 feet of the thing or you'd burn up. At about 15 feet away, I stayed comfortable without my coat and it was in the upper 40's just outside the tent. I'm sure it would not be as effective in the open, but it did a good enough job that I think I'm going to get one.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

7. Back To Top    #7

We use our chiminea for "lighting effects" and for mosquito control. We can buy pinion wood, a type of pine. When it is allowed to burn slowly and smolder, the smell is very nice but keeps mosquitos away very well.

So, it looks nice, the burning light is a nice affect at night, keeps mosquitos away if you burn the correct type of wood, but we don't use it for warmth... we live in Texas.
    10,000 gallon in-ground pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Purelink Water Purification System, AquaLink RS Pool Digital Assistant, Jandy Stealth Series Pumps, Polaris 380, 3/4 hp booster pump, DE Filter, Lucayan Blue River Rok aggregate innerds

8. Back To Top    #8

We visited a friend who had a chiminea. You had to get pretty close to it to really get warm. My husband had come straight from work, had some good dress pants that were a wool blend of some sort and his favorite new argyle socks. Realized the next day that the wood had popped out tiny sparks that burned holes in his socks and his pants. Just nice navy work pants but they were like $90.

Next time we visited them they were using a screen on that thing.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry
    Silicon Valley, CA

Love mine. Only challenge was finding stuff small enough to burn. Think i got it dialed tho... pine cones.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

10. Back To Top    #10

We love ours, we have both a chiminea and an outdoor fireplace and use both equally. Fireplace is nice for wider heating, but then you have to deal with the smoke, and smelling smokey. Chiminea is more for smaller crowds, and no smokey clothing. The trick that we have found is that you need to have the fire going for a good while before you need it, it is more of a radiant heat...let it burn a while before you need it and when you need it it will project heat all around nicely. Sit around it when first lit and you'll be shivering.
    18 x 38 - 28,000 gallon vinyl in ground built in 1998, Sta-Rite cartridge filter and heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have one with sitting on a very sturdy rolling platform my GF built and its awesome, looks cool, and its way cheaper to run per hour than a gas heater.

If you want ambience early in the evening throw wood in it and let it rage - the cast iron holds and throws off a lot of heat.

Then at the end of the night roll it over to a circle of chairs and throw in charcoal briquets' in it-( get the cheapest **** you can buy for this purpose) and throw it on the hot wood coals this throws out tons of mellow well behaved heat.

Fireplaces are great, but even if I had one Id still have a chiminea.

20K Gallon Gunnite pool/900 Gallon in ground Spa/2HP WhisperflowSpa
    Pentair Master temp 400/Hayward Sand Zebrite/Jandy RS-8 Aqualink/Jandy 2HP Epump
    12 - 4x10 Solar Panels/Barracuda G3/ BBB