Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time pool owner, low alkalinity

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner, low alkalinity

Hello! This is my first time opening a pool, and I'd love some advice. It's a small underground pool, about 7,000 gallons. We had it opened 5 days ago, and after shocking, backflushing, cleaning, etc, it is finally crystal clear. However, the chlorine and ph are still very high, but the alkalinity is really low (previous owners said that the alkalinity always read low, and they trashed their pool heater because of it). I ordered a TF100 test kit this morning, but currently am using strips to read. I know I need better numbers, but should I add something to the pool today to help get the alkalinity up? Like baking soda? Thank you so much!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool owner, low alkalinity

wouldn't make ANY adjustments to chemicals until you get your TF100. for now just keep chlorine and pH stable. only time you need to worry about TA is if you pH is constantly high, which typically means you need to lower your TA...so opposite of what you are thinking. TA is one of the last things you need to worry about. First and most importantly is getting an accurate CYA (stabilizer) reading so you can get your chlorine in the correct level based on that.

if your chlorine level is high and not dropping quick, that's a good thing. it means you don't have algae consuming it. keep your chlorine up (doesn't sound like an issue) and hold out for that test.

high chlorine can also show falsely high pH as well.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome! Let's see ... TF-100 on order ... CHECK Maintain FC and PH until kit arrives ... CHECK Signature ... hum? Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. Nice to have you with us!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome! I am so glad you found us and you will be too!

I bet the other owners never found TFP so they did not know how to balance their pool.

YOU on the other hand will do just fine with your test kit and us!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you so much everyone! I'll hold tight until I get my kit. And, I'll fix my signature.
    sarahk IG, 7,000 gallons, sand filter (Hayward Vari-Flo XL), vinyl liner