Air Leak

wrems

May 7, 2015
River Falls, WI
I seem to be getting some air into my returns. I also noticed this morning that the pump basket reservoir had drained with the pump off. It regained prime easily but up to this point it has always held water perfectly.

Here’s a vid of my pressure side port bubbles:

Leak? - YouTube

I ordered a new gasket for the pump strainer. I don’t see anything obvious as far as leaks. Is there anything I should do a double take on? Does this type of air admittance have some easily identifiable culprits?

You have a suction side air leak. Somewhere between the pump and the skimmer(s), air is being sucked into the system. Find that leak and your issues will be solved......and that's the trick.....finding the leak.

There is an article in Pool School that may be helpful.

As an aside, why don't you have an eyeball fitting on that return?

My gasket hasn't arrived yet. I think that might be it.

Here's a pic of my setup:

I did a test last night. I turned off the pump and closed both valves on my intake at the pump: skimmer and low hole. My expectation was that in the morning the strainer basket would be 100% full and then day-by-day I would cycle through leaving one leg open to see when the basket drains itself. I was surprised this morning to see the basket empty, with having both intakes cranked shut. This test was supposed to be more my control.

So, where did the water go?

I feel like I ruled out the section of pipe from the valves in the pic to their subsequent ports on the pool.

That return was for my polaris pressure cleaner. It broke and I removed the special adapter from the port to hook up my homemade aerator, I just forgot to put it back on.

So, where did the water go?
back into the pool. The air leak allows the water in the filter (and everything else above the pool water level) to slowly get back into the pool.

If your system was airtight, the water couldn't get out of the above ground part and you would hold static prime.

That half-union right at the pump intake looks a little crooked to me. maybe my imagination. Have you checked that the two surfaces at that joint are mated smoothly and that the internal O-ring is in place?

I finally was able to find some time yesterday and put in the new gasket. So far so good!

Upon inspection of the removed o-ring it was obviously deformed, no cracks but I could instantly tell the new gasket had a lot more spring as it fit much tighter. It took a long time to clean up the o-ring track. There seemed to be some sort of crusty yellow stuff. Maybe glue or something... Happy with my results.

I also, took the time to grab some of the headlight lens polish I had and completely polished the pump lid. Holy smokes, I can really see in there now. Wish I had done that before the oxidation/weathering of the 'clear' plastic lid was definitely compromised.

Overall, super easy fix!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.