Ongoing cloudy pool

Pfisher

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 22, 2015
Germantown, TN
HELP PLEASE:

In two weeks to Slam. Pool started out cloudy and green. Started the Slam process. I was holding FC at 35 for Mustard Algae. Long story short figured out that spider gasket was bad, sand was bad so both were changed. Last Sunday pool was clear in the shallow and cloudy in deep end. So restarted the SLAM. I had stopped it when we changed the sand. I was hopeful that we were on the right track. I have been trying to keep at FC at MA levels (have since read that FC at shock level then last 24 hrs for MA levels). Anyway today (day 4) pool looks worse. Very cloudy - lots of white stuff on stairs. I was using cal hypo and bleach but bleach is more expensive. Also I have probably used almost 100 PDS of cal hypo 73%. I am getting super frustrated. Any ideas of why pool looks worse today?

Levels on Sunday
FC 8
PH 7.4
TA 120
Cya-50
CH -250

Today
FC 22. Didn't test others due to high FC.

Any ideas ?? Thank you!!

2 weeks is a long time and can be frustrating. But to confirm for others reading .... have you been employing the full SLAM method constantly for 2 weeks? It almost sounds as though you had some maintenance to do, so the SLAM stopped, then you adjusted you FC level down a but as well. Those things right there "might" be contributing to the delay. We always emphasize the following:
“Maintain” FC at the SLAM level listed on the Chlorine/CYA chart (link below) for your current CYA until 3 objectives are met:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
** You MUST meet ALL 3 items above to properly do a SLAM. Anything else and there’s a good chance your algae will return.

Use the Chlorine/CYA chart (link in my sig) to bring your FC up to the proper SLAM level rating based on your current CYA and make sure it stays there (MAINTAIN) until you meet ALL 3 criteria listed above! That may take just a few days or even a week or two! That is absolutely critical for success.

At the same time, continue to run your pump 24/7. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed.

Also, I see previously your FC dropped to 8, but your SLAM level is 20 based on a CYA of 50. So unless you "Maintain" that level of 20, you will not beat the algae

The cal hypo can cause the cloudiness all by itself. You might want to just stick with the liquid bleach and shop for sales or coupons.

Have you pulled out the light? That seems to be where the algae is hiding in everyone's pools this week.

I am surprised your CH is not much higher, 100#s of cal-hypo will raise your CH by 175ppm.

Thanks everyone. I am using Taylor 2006. It's very hard to keep levels at Slam with such hot weather and full time sun. I am running filter 25x7. Still seeing white stuff and back washing seems like daily. I can't see any algae but still cloudy in the deep end. I have put so much shock in and seems to no avail. Cya has dropped due to fresh water. Today's values

FC 15
Ph 7.6
TA 100
CYA 30
Didn't check CH

When you say shock you mean bleach or liquid chlorine right???

Keep it up. It does seem as if the last part takes the longest!

Can you please add your pool details to your siggy please. It helps to not have to search for your equipment and pool type.

THANKS!

Kim

When you say shock you mean bleach or liquid chlorine right???

Keep it up. It does seem as if the last part takes the longest!

Can you please add your pool details to your siggy please. It helps to not have to search for your equipment and pool type.

THANKS!

Kim

Kim,

I have saved my info in my profile and it did post once?? I posted that from my iPhone. Not sure why it didn't populate. I'm sure there's an easier way. I have been using Cal Hypo 73%. Also, turning pool over twice a day to ensure adequate but hopefully not too much filtration. I have read TOO much about all of this...

Thank you all for your help. My husband thinks I'm crazy with this much shock and time when everyone else's pool is so easy?

35k pebbletec
Triton TR 60 sand filter
Intelliflo VS pump

Ahhhhhhhhhh the iphone "ate" your siggy! It is there now.

The Cal Hypo may be causing you problems. You really need to use only bleach or chlorine (they are the same thing but different strengths).

Oh tell that hubby of yours it is easy once you get it back on track.

You can also add DE to your filter to help clear it up faster. It will need some babysitting to watch the pressure. Here is the link.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Kim

Ahhhhhhhhhh the iphone "ate" your siggy! It is there now.

The Cal Hypo may be causing you problems. You really need to use only bleach or chlorine (they are the same thing but different strengths).

Oh tell that hubby of yours it is easy once you get it back on track.

You can also add DE to your filter to help clear it up faster. It will need some babysitting to watch the pressure. Here is the link.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Kim
Thanks Kim! I will go buy more bleach. Bought 65 121 oz over the last few weeks on top of the cal hypo. I have been adding DE too. When I said that I have been reading I wasn't kidding.... Finished pool school a week ago... I researched all angles to see if I have other problems. Seems like this should have cleared by now. It really wasn't that green or dirty. Got to go check the FC level. Will vacuum in the morning and reevaluate...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
GREAT! I love when someone has already read and started doing where I am pointing them! Good job!

Kim

Kim,

Last night FC 16.5
Today Before Sun FC 15
Don't have enough Bleach but will get some today. Will maintain FC 15 and see how it goes...
Pool is very Cloudy. I too think it may be Cal Hypo. It's cloudier after adding 56 oz last night.

Thank you. - I will keep you updated....

Kim,

Last night FC 16.5
Today Before Sun FC 15
Don't have enough Bleach but will get some today. Will maintain FC 15 and see how it goes...
Pool is very Cloudy. I too think it may be Cal Hypo. It's cloudier after adding 56 oz last night.

Thank you. - I will keep you updated....

Kim,

I am having difficulties maintaining shock level with the intense sun... I have put in 10 - 121oz bleach in a day and a half. Is there anything else I can do? This is getting SUPER EXPENSIVE... Not to mention so frustrating... Pool looks the same. Ok in shallow end and cloudy in deep end.

Thanks,
Pam

My 2 cents:
Isn't Cal-Hypo more expensive than bleach? $4.50 a gallon for 12.5 % chlorine seems economical compared to cal-hypo. :)
So, have you stopped using Cal-Hypo?
What strength of bleach are you using and where did you get it from? If the bleach/chlorine is old, it is has lost some of its strength and would not be as effective.
Is your cya at 50ppm? Even though it is easier to SLAM with lower cya levels, it would seem to help hold it in better under the blazing sun.
Just my 2 cents. :)

My 2 cents:
Isn't Cal-Hypo more expensive than bleach? $4.50 a gallon for 12.5 % chlorine seems economical compared to cal-hypo. :)
So, have you stopped using Cal-Hypo?
What strength of bleach are you using and where did you get it from? If the bleach/chlorine is old, it is has lost some of its strength and would not be as effective.
Is your cya at 50ppm? Even though it is easier to SLAM with lower cya levels, it would seem to help hold it in better under the blazing sun.
Just my 2 cents. :)

Bleach from Walmart or Costco is 8.25 %. Cal hypo was a better value. 50 pads for $100 bucks. Maybe should get cya up. Slam levels are lower but don't hold. CYA is 20-30. Hard to tell, also due to heat and vacuuming I am replacing water often too.

Thanks!

What kind of filter do you have? Please add that info to your siggy.

If you have a sand filter I have an idea how to speed things up.

I really think you should stick with bleach. That is the tried and true around here.

Kim

Throwing in another 2 cents:
Are you vacuuming to waste? You don't really have to. If you are trying to kill algae, you could just put filter on circulate while the bleach is killing things, and then go back to filter. Then vacuum and let the water go back into the pool. I rarely filter to waste. It wastes water and chemicals. That could be why you are using so much bleach.

Also, if you are going to use bags of shock, instead of cal-hypo use a bag or 2 of di-chlor or tri-chlor (not usually recommended) that would add cya to the pool at the same time as bleach. But.......you have to be careful, your cya will shoot up quickly if you use too many bags of shock.
Really, just bleach is best. Around here, the pool stores are selling gallons of 12.5% at $4.00, and it flies off the shelf quick!
Again, just my 2 cents.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.