Finally got a profile

LeeW

Jun 12, 2015
Burlignton, KY
OK, so I have used this site for about 4 or 5 years as my go to resource. Decided to just sign up.

This is my first pool. 11 yrs ago I bought the house and pool with no information or meeting from prior owners. The entire property was a mess and they were a mess in addition to be a mystery, seemingly domestic violence was an issue as every door jam in the house was split and most doors had dents or holes. Pool had been unattended for a year at least it seemed. So I started from scratch with my local pool store which while it has a seedy vibe to the business side they also happened to have some long term knowledgeable employees. I visited several stores and picked one but always keep my eye on them. Have learned a lot about pools and the pool store business.

Property also had a round 250gal hot tub spa running on 110 barely buried romex cut in to a deck...could not access most panels...ugh. It was low end and in worse shape and right next to the pool pump/filter...hard to relax with that noise. I have an engineering and electrical background and have done a lot of construction. So I kept that old spa running for 5 yrs or so but mostly hated it all the time. Eventually decided to not repair it again and cut it up and tossed it. Rebuilt the deck floor and put a 400 gal spa in its place and upgraded electrical service. Put in a new subpanel for all outdoor equipment which was a big improvement. New panel was planned to accommodate eventual pool heater.

Had a pad poured around the corner of the house and past bushes. I relocated the pool pump/filter, mounted it properly this time, and added the heat pump. Very nice though I could use a new gate to ease the access. On the to do list.

There have been many stories and projects of the past 10 yrs getting this place in to shape. Somehow I was able to avoid ever putting in a slide. The kids always wanted one but now they are too old. I just didn't want a slide blocking the view of the backyard and woods.

The pool robot is new this season and so far I love it. The kids have jobs or are away and do not have time to brush the pool and my schedule is a problem this days. So far the pool bot has kept it looking great, thought the wife was not so thrilled about the price tag. I still go out in the mornings and skim out bugs, test water and just enjoy the quiet time. I always found brushing to be very relaxing and I enjoy cutting grass, but currently rebuilding the other deck spaces and my hands hurt like crazy. Having the brushing off my duties is nice and I do not have to ride the kids to make sure some one does it (and they never do it right anyway):)