Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finally got a profile

1. Back To Top    #1

Burlignton, KY

Finally got a profile

OK, so I have used this site for about 4 or 5 years as my go to resource. Decided to just sign up.

This is my first pool. 11 yrs ago I bought the house and pool with no information or meeting from prior owners. The entire property was a mess and they were a mess in addition to be a mystery, seemingly domestic violence was an issue as every door jam in the house was split and most doors had dents or holes. Pool had been unattended for a year at least it seemed. So I started from scratch with my local pool store which while it has a seedy vibe to the business side they also happened to have some long term knowledgeable employees. I visited several stores and picked one but always keep my eye on them. Have learned a lot about pools and the pool store business.

Property also had a round 250gal hot tub spa running on 110 barely buried romex cut in to a deck...could not access most panels...ugh. It was low end and in worse shape and right next to the pool pump/filter...hard to relax with that noise. I have an engineering and electrical background and have done a lot of construction. So I kept that old spa running for 5 yrs or so but mostly hated it all the time. Eventually decided to not repair it again and cut it up and tossed it. Rebuilt the deck floor and put a 400 gal spa in its place and upgraded electrical service. Put in a new subpanel for all outdoor equipment which was a big improvement. New panel was planned to accommodate eventual pool heater.

Had a pad poured around the corner of the house and past bushes. I relocated the pool pump/filter, mounted it properly this time, and added the heat pump. Very nice though I could use a new gate to ease the access. On the to do list.

There have been many stories and projects of the past 10 yrs getting this place in to shape. Somehow I was able to avoid ever putting in a slide. The kids always wanted one but now they are too old. I just didn't want a slide blocking the view of the backyard and woods.

The pool robot is new this season and so far I love it. The kids have jobs or are away and do not have time to brush the pool and my schedule is a problem this days. So far the pool bot has kept it looking great, thought the wife was not so thrilled about the price tag. I still go out in the mornings and skim out bugs, test water and just enjoy the quiet time. I always found brushing to be very relaxing and I enjoy cutting grass, but currently rebuilding the other deck spaces and my hands hurt like crazy. Having the brushing off my duties is nice and I do not have to ride the kids to make sure some one does it (and they never do it right anyway)
    1994 InGround Vinyl 16x32, 19,000gal, Hayward S200 filter/super pump.
    Using non-stabilized chlorine sleeves in skimmer. Using TF100 Test Kit.
    Rheem Heat Pump and Dolphin M400 robot.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Finally got a profile

Welcome to TFP!

Glad you signed up.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Ontario, Canada

Nice introduction. Welcome to the board!
    18' x 36' vinyl steel wall pool with deep end, 2 lights and 6' steps, main drain, SWG, Cartridge Filter, 320,000 BTU Rheem heater, 3/4HP 1 stage pump - Ontario, Canada

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tallahassee, FL

That is a great opening! I would LOVE to see before and after pics!

I too bought a house that had some "problems" inside the walls per say. We replaced all the doors and I learned to fix drywall.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

You may be new as a forum member, but you have the knowledge and TF-100! Good job!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!