Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding DE to sand filter - couple questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding DE to sand filter - couple questions

I've read the process of adding DE, but have a couple questions:

1 - Mix 1/4 DE in bucket of water. How much water?

2 - Since this is the first time, it says that I might notice a high spike in PSI. I'm at 13 now and it should go to 14 PSI, then I stop adding DE. So, in 24 hours, it could climb higher. How high is too high? Do I backwash to bring it down?

3 - there is some dirt at the bottom fo the pool, water is clear. Should I vacuum before adding the DE?

thanks
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, Sun from 11:30AM-2PM.
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer (6/17)
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Raypak 206A 200K, BTU gas (6/17)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding DE to sand filter - couple questions

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    I've read the process of adding DE, but have a couple questions:

1 - Mix 1/4 DE in bucket of water. How much water?
    How big's your bucket?

A few inches is fine. Keep it light enough that you can manage it easily so you don't end up slopping it somewhere you don't want it, like in the pool.
    2 - Since this is the first time, it says that I might notice a high spike in PSI. I'm at 13 now and it should go to 14 PSI, then I stop adding DE. So, in 24 hours, it could climb higher. How high is too high? Do I backwash to bring it down?
    In fifteen minutes it could climb higher if the water is cloudy. I wouldn't add it and then go to work. Do it when you're around to keep an eye on pressure and flow. You're at 13 now, so when you hit 16 or 17, it's time to backwash, same as normal.
    3 - there is some dirt at the bottom fo the pool, water is clear. Should I vacuum before adding the DE?

thanks
    Your call. Either way it gets trapped in the filter. I'd do it after adding DE, so any superfine stuff lying on the floor gets filtered out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Roger that. Thanks. I never leave the pool unattended when performing an "operation". Heck, I hate going away for vacation when things are fine with the pool!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ugh...so close. At close inspection, I'm calling the starting point 12.75PSI. I'm probably at 13.60PSI, so I'm going to let it go overnight. I added about 1.5 cups so far. I didn't want to vacuum the pool, because when I hook up the shark, sometimes it goes smoothly, other times I get air gaps, burps, belches, etc. and I didn't want to take any chances. So, I put the kids in the pool and the can kick up all the dirt. I have the skimming sock back on and I'll vacuum tomorrow.

Now, WTH do I do with the other 23+ pounds of DE I had to buy!

5. Back To Top    #5

Use it for the next 10 years of course
    Keep it dry and it will last forever.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I'm in the same boat. I have a 20lb+ box sitting in the garage but every time I backwash I just go mix up a little and add it. Just need to keep it off the floor and closed so it stays dry.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I added the DE and the pool has been very good since. I did notice the PSI dropped, after I backwashed, right back down to 12.75 where I began. I'll probably add a litte more DE, but so far I'm not getting any more dust/dirt settling at the bottom of the pool. At some point, I'll performa a deep cleaning of the filter.

But for now, is there any reason for concern, or is it mission accomplished?