Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting Up New IG Pool - Trichlor Good Option for Chlorine and CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting Up New IG Pool - Trichlor Good Option for Chlorine and CYA?

Pool is Quartscape finish

I read somewhere that Trichlor tabs are a good option when starting-up a new pool due to the fact that they add CYA as well as chlorine. What do the experts think? I believe it's safe to start adding these tabs 72 hours after my pool is full and pump has been running 24/7.

Also, is there a better option here like adding bleach for the chlorine and strait pool conditioner to bring my CYA up?
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting Up New IG Pool - Trichlor Good Option for Chlorine and CYA?

You can start off with trichlor only, but until some CYA gets established the FC will burn off in sunlight very fast. Usually it is better to add some CYA stabilizer first, you can then use trichlor for a while if you want to, but if you do measure out a predetermined cut off point using pool math and stick to it. Many people do this blindly and then find they have overdosed on CYA.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

@Isaac-1 - Thanks, and yes I would be concerned about overdoing it on the CYA. I also see your point that the Trichlor might add the CYA so slowly that the FC level never gets to the required level due to the hot Vegas sun burning it off.

Would a better approach be to at the 72 hr point of my "break-in" be to add a stabilizer (more than likely liquid) to get my CYA up and later that day add bleach for my FC?
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

4. Back To Top    #4

No need to pay a lot extra for the liquid. Put the granules in a sock in your skimmer. Squeeze it a few times a day to speed the process. You can add bleach anytime you want.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

i don't believe you have to wait 72 hours, you can put in chlorine liquid right away, as pooldv said above
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, so after reading this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Pool-Start-Up I'm thinking I will use Trichlor and just monitor CYA. I'll confirm with my plaster guy to confirm my process is inline with what he recommends so I don't void my warranty.

What speed should I run my VS pump at for the first week? I was thinking of just running it at the lowest preset of 750.