Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommend a cleaner for my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommend a cleaner for my pool?

When we first bought our home we threw out an old pool cleaner before we knew what it was. It looked similar to this one.

XtremepowerUS Automatic Pool Cleaner Vacuum-generic Kreepy Krauly Climb Wall Pool Cleaner Amazon.com : XtremepowerUS Automatic Pool Cleaner Vacuum-generic Kreepy Krauly Climb Wall Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Suction Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

We also have a dedicated suction plug.

Type: IG Vynal
    Size: ~ 22,000 GAL
    Filter: Sand - Hayward S244T Pro Series w/ 1HP Hayward Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommend a cleaner for my pool?

I've had a couple of different models of this type cleaner and they all pretty much work the same. I'd say that it would be a good cleaner for your pool.

Depending on where the suction port is located, you may need more hose sections than it comes with, but you can find those in lots of places.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Sweet! Any reason to buy a name brand like kreepy krauly? This generic one seems to have mixed reviews.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the cheapest one I could find at the time and it works better than any of the name brand cleaners that I've had. You may have to fiddle with the weights, etc., but it should work fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

With a suction side cleaner you're going to want/need a leaf canister attached to the cleaner hose. I did not have one at first and I plugged up my suction line with a solid wad of mesquite debris.

I have a Pentair Kreepy Krauly Sandshark which works fine but I'm really itching for it to die so I can get their new Rebel cleaner. I'm hoping a wheel-based cleaner will work a little better. There's also ThePoolCleaner which lots of folks here seem to like.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    With a suction side cleaner you're going to want/need a leaf canister attached to the cleaner hose. I did not have one at first and I plugged up my suction line with a solid wad of mesquite debris.

I have a Pentair Kreepy Krauly Sandshark which works fine but I'm really itching for it to die so I can get their new Rebel cleaner. I'm hoping a wheel-based cleaner will work a little better. There's also ThePoolCleaner which lots of folks here seem to like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I just once in my life want to experience Poolverneugen.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I just once in my life want to experience Poolverneugen.
    Sadly I think they got bought up by Hayward. I never like it when a smaller company with a great product gets bought up by a big industry player; it always messes up the product.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Good point. I always use a vacuum plate so my skimmer basket stays in place, and I sometimes forget that a lot of people remove the basket and stick the hose into the bottom of the skimmer. If you don't use a vacuum plate, a leaf canister is a great idea.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes a leaf cannister is on my list