New pool remodel - Need advice on chemicals question

Jul 12, 2012
Winter Haven, FL
Question: My pool was just remodeled. It was completely filled up Thursday and Miuratic acid and Metal out was put in only. I get home Thursday night to a pretty blue pool. However, my sand filter was full of algae I know it. Haven't had a chance to deep clean it prior to pool being remodeled.The basket had algae in it so i scrubbed that down. I began scrubbing the pool and noticed alot of dust and matter. The pool also had the smell of a lake to it..

The pool builder told me they will put chemicals in Monday. He said they must give the pool time to let the metal be removed from the water... 4 days? Seems excessive to me for just metals. I have never used metal out personally, just haven't had the need to. I wanted to know what you guys think.

I have a TFT kit and am ready to attack this sucker, I have a pool party saturday that was loosely planned, I would like my pool not to smell like a pond. I plan to cancel it or at least let people know it isn't really ready and smells like a lake.. lol.

Just wondering if it would be okay if I apply chemicals today, I am over 24 hours into the metal out being applied. Pump has ran over 24 hours. The company will be doing initial chemicals for free with the remodel Monday, but I don't really care, I'd rather my pool not smell like a lake.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Link to my remodel:
Pool remodel has begun - Progress Pics

Metal out? Are you on well water? Or does the city have a known issue with metals already? Just curious.

You've got the kit - awesome! I would not wait to get your stabilizer and Free Chlorine (FC) in there. Of course make sure you review the new plaster link: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

If you need help, just post all of your numbers and the crew here will advise.

Thanks Texas. I am assuming the city water must be high in metals... I don't believe my kit can test for that though. Could my local pool store tell me if it has metals present? I'll post my #'s tonight. Unfortunately didn't get to it last night and I also need some reagents as I haven't really tested my water in months waiting for this remodel.

A metal test is one of those tests you probably "can" have the pool store do. Just ignore everything else they say. :) But I don't think that should hinder you from adding stabilizer and/or bleach (FC) right now. Last thing you want is a full-blown algae bloom over the weekend. Stay in touch, have a nice weekend.

A metal test is one of those tests you probably "can" have the pool store do. Just ignore everything else they say. :) But I don't think that should hinder you from adding stabilizer and/or bleach (FC) right now. Last thing you want is a full-blown algae bloom over the weekend. Stay in touch, have a nice weekend.

Yeah I never listen to the pool store lol. My local store knows I don't BS they dont try to sell me anything other than the basics that I always get haha. Pretty decent local store here. I just texted the builder and told him im putting in CYA and chlorine tonight unless they want to. I heard their pool maintenance sucks but their remodels are great. I can't really comment on that but I really don't like the fact they were going to let my pool sit for 4 days before putting any chlorine in, geez.

Be careful that what you do does not mess up your warranty with the PB. Do what HE says to keep it intact.

Kim (I have to agree about not liking no FC for 4 days but...............)

I'm going to talk to the owner about it today and see what he says. Their customer service has been bad through this whole process I don't hear back for 2 days and it's mostly very short or "oh i forgot to check on that". I haven't paid them the remaining balance yet so I have some leverage :p

After reading the pool school for new plaster, it says do not add chlorine until plaster dust is gone. There was a good amount coming up when scrubbing it this AM. I also have a sand filter so I'd assume that takes a little longer to pick up the plaster granules.

Kim mentions a very good point. Please refer to this article: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

It does address a couple items specifically related to what you were asking (i.e. how/when Chlorine/CYA may be added). Good catch!

Well the pool managed to stay clear this weekend. I scrubbed twice a day to make sure that the plaster dust would get ate up by the acid. Chemicals are going in as we speak. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just an update. Chemicals are officialy my job now. I accidentally bought OTO chlorine testing kit. That sucked. I was in a hurry as the pool store was closing in 5 mins and they were kind of rushing me. I may take it back. Anyways... Pool is holding chlorine and doing well according to my OTO test.

I can't find my CYA cylinder to do a CYA test... kinda stinks I don't know what I did with it. I am thinking of making a custom one but I figure there is some science behind those cylinders im not aware of and I won't get accurate readings. I have tons of CYA reagent too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.