Possible issue with SWG

600m

Jun 12, 2015
Pennsville, New Jersey
I have a Resilience SCC-25 salt cell and lately I've been noticing on the control box on the on/off spot the light is blinking red. I assume this means it is not producing any chlorine? There is some algae growing on the sides of my liner. The salt is in the proper range (3000-4000ppm) and everything else is in balance.

I haven't pulled it off to clean it yet as there is some build up on the blades but just wanted to see if it's possible the cell is going bad or just a cleaning could get it back in working condition.

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing to do is get some liquid chlorine in the water to keep the pool from turning into a green swamp. We like to see test results, not everything is in balance, as that does not help us to tell you what else to add to the pool.

The first thing that needs to be done to troubleshoot the SWG is to get the scale off the plates and see if that gets the SWG working again.

Do you have the manual to troubleshoot the system? I do not understand which light is blinking red as the power on/off light should only be green. See if this manual can help you, http://www.poolinspections.com/manuals/sanitizers/resilience_psc-3_manual.pdf.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry took me a while to get back. That manual seems to be the exact system I have so was really helpful to have that now. Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about a blinking on/off light. I have hosed off the plates on the SWG but there is still some build up. Do you have any suggestion on how I can clean it with muriatic acid without a cleaning cap?

As far as the balance I had taken a sample of my water to the local pool store who said everything looked good to them (idk what the actual numbers were). So I ended up buying a digital water tester, LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7. I just ran a sample today and the numbers looked way off to me. (Though I'm still new to this).

FC= 0.09
br= 0.1
TC=0.06
pH=8.1
Alk=103
CH=257
CYA=2

Pool is an inground roughly 24,000 gallons.

Correct me if I am wrong, but those numbers don't look right. I don't think you can have FC > TC. FC (Free Chlorine) should be less than or equal to TC (Total Chlorine). CYA is also crazy low. You should get the test kit recommended by everyone here: TFTestkits.net. I'd return the electronic one.

I may have mixed up those numbers when I wrote them down after testing. I will run it again tomorrow to know for sure. Yeah I figured the CYA was an issue especially since I saw on the SWG balance post it should be between 70-80? My pool is in direct sunlight all day too. So I assume that could be a huge reason why I'm getting algae growing on the walls. Oh darn I had looked at that page too when I was looking for a test kit thought I got one off of there, I see it's a different model now. :-/

Welcome to TFP!

You've got algae, no CYA and no chlorine. That combo is going to get a lot worse real fast. I don't know how reliable the test kit is that you have or if you have reason to believe that your CYA is 0. Have you added CYA to your pool? How much? If not then add 30 ppm asap. Are you using chlorine/bleach to chlorinate your pool? Why is FC 0?

Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Chlorine level should be maintained at the target level at all times and never allowed to drop below the minimum level or algae will grow.

At this point the only advice I can offer is to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool to get rid of the algae. If your kit doesn't measure CYA and FAS/DPD chlorine test then get a TF100 from tftestkits.net

Please add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Getting Started

Today was my first time using this test kit so can't really speak to the reliability either.

Since I moved into this house roughly 2.5 years ago I have not added any CYA to it. So I can suspect it may be 0 or close to it. I will go by the store and get some and add it in there then. As far as the 0 FC I've got a SWG that I believe may not be running correctly as well but I have been shocking it about once a week to raise the level just to the levels to keep the algae away. Using bleach from walmart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.