Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Cell life span

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Cell life span

I recently bought a house with a pool. The previous owner converted to a SWG about 3 years ago. So far, everything is going well. What is the typical life span of a salt cell? Are there any warning signs that indicate if it's nearing the end of its life? i.e., does it just die one day and you wake up to an algae bloom, or can it be anticipated and prepared for?
    saltwater generator - Hayward turbo cell
    Whisperflo multiport valve sand filter
    25,000 gallon vinyl pool (20x40 rectangular)
    Polaris 280
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Cell life span

They can last 3-7+ years depending on use and chemistry.

They usually start to read [s]chlorine[\s] salinity levels lower than reality as they get dirty or start to fail. So you should have a salt test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jblizzle is correct except it should have said the salinity levels will be read lower, not chlorine levels.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Depending on the quality of the pool store in your area and the type of salt cell you have, some will test a salt cell for free and give you a report on its lifetime.

The IntelliChlor models from Pentair have this "magic wand" that you can wave near the cell and attach to a laptop. The wand picks up an RF signal from the cell and the software on the laptop displays various cell parameters like number of hours on, previous current and voltage data, etc.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the correction.

Did not know that about the Pentair ... Another reason the cells are more expensive.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Thanks for the correction.

Did not know that about the Pentair ... Another reason the cells are more expensive.
    I believe they're called IntelliWand

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates