Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool set up...

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool set up...

We set up our new Intex 22ft pool. We started filling it with water and now there is 3" of water on one side, 1.5" in the middle, and very little water on the other side. Before we continue filling it up should we first relevel the ground under the pool?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool set up...

Welcome to TFP!
    Start over and level the ground by digging down. Must be within 1 inch.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I see you are asking above leveling, so this may seem way down the road for you, but .......

Do you have the proper test kit on-hand already (or on order)? The proper test kit is everything. Why? Because we've all learned (from personal experience) you cannot reply on pool store tests, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They don't read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. See TF-100 link below.

Also, please add your (future) pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Break out the Motrin. I see some shovelling in your future.

One of my favorite discussions on it.
    I need advice on leveling my ground.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok we took the pool down...waited for all the rain to finally clear out...releveled the ground, put the pool back up, started filling it. As it filled up it was no more than 1" off all the way around. But now that it's 3/4 the way full it's all of a sudden 3.5" off on the high end. Should we continue or once again take it down and relevel it again?

6. Back To Top    #6

If the ground is soft (you said it rained) then of course the pool is going to sink into the dirt/mud.

You may need to use pavers to prevent it from sinking.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!