Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP Timer

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP Timer

I would like to get a good timer for my above ground pool
    Any decent ones that do not require hard wire
    21' NEW YORKER II 54" DEEP AGP Private Label MORADA RTR WILBAR Aluminum wall
    Hard Bottom and 1/4" Floor Pad 1/8" Wall Foam Well Water Perma 2500 Unibead liner King Technology Pool Chlorine Feeder HAYWARD Diver Dave cleaner
    Waterway 22″ Sand Filter 1.5 HP Center Discharge Pump Single speed Wide Mouth skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP Timer

I am hoping for an answer here too! I have been contemplating one of those timers that go straight into the outlet and turn devices off an on. Good idea? Terrible idea? Works for chicken house heat light but maybe that's a little different from a 1hp pump!
    15'x30' oval AGP. 12000 gal. 1 HP pentair pump. 19 inch sand filter.
    Auto vacuum thing that works through skimmer. Solar cover.
    OLD 400ish gallon Cal Spa hot tub with two new pumps (ouch)

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Unless your pump is plumbed away from the pool the use of a plug in timer will be a bit difficult. A properly wired (code compliant) pool pump will have a twist lock plug on the end of a 3' cord. This will be plugged into a waterproof "in-use" receptacle. Not too many timers will fit into those parameters
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a dedicated GFCI plug in a waterproof in use box near the pool.
    21' NEW YORKER II 54" DEEP AGP Private Label MORADA RTR WILBAR Aluminum wall
    Hard Bottom and 1/4" Floor Pad 1/8" Wall Foam Well Water Perma 2500 Unibead liner King Technology Pool Chlorine Feeder HAYWARD Diver Dave cleaner
    Waterway 22″ Sand Filter 1.5 HP Center Discharge Pump Single speed Wide Mouth skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Which is what you want to plug the timer into...correct? Intermatic makes several plug in timers. However, you will need to get one that has enough amperage capacity for the pump motor and still fit inside the In-Use cover. For example the Intermatic P1101 is a 15 amp capacity plug in timer timer
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Not that much room in the outlet.
    Would need to be a stand alone water resistant timer.
    I have seen some for $20-40 by intermatic but they have mixed reviews
    Last edited by giltyler; 06-12-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Add

7. Back To Top    #7

Other threads on here have people saying this is good. I am going to be buying this soon. You basically plug the pump into this (which will be mounted on a post) and plug this into the 'in-use' gfci waterproof outlet with bubble cover.

The timer has the plug on the bottom so the thinking is it won't get wet while plugged, that worries me a bit though

Amazon.com: Intermatic P1121 Heavy Duty Outdoor Timer 15 Amp: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Woods 50015 Outdoor 7-Day Heavy Duty Digital Outlet Timer: Home Improvement
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

8. Back To Top    #8

^ Yeah, I still can recommend that inexpensive Woods timer. I've had mine for just 12 months but it has survived through snow, rain and heat.

9. Back To Top    #9

I've had this one for 3 years now and been really happy with it. When the pool is not up, we use it inside the house for other things like humidifiers. I like the fact that it still has a big on/off button that can be used manually, like when needing to use the vac.

Aube by Honeywell TI062/U Plug-in Timer Aube by Honeywell TI062/U Plug-in Timer - Plug In Timer Switches - Amazon.com
    1,720 Gallon Intex 12' x 30" Metal Frame AGP w/ 1-1/2" Retrofit Intake/Exhaust | Intex SWCG w/ 2,800 GPH Sand Filter Pump controlled with Aube TI062/U Timer