Heavy rain now Chlorine reads 0

Apr 30, 2015
Penn Valley CA
So 2 days ago I did my first 'real' test with new FT100 kit. My numbers were
CHL 3ppm
TC 3.5
Ph 7.5 ALK 90
CYA 50
Not bad so I thought, then last night we had a very hard rain.
This morning
CHL 0
Ph 8
I stopped there and this evening after the sun was off the pool I added 1 gal. Liquid chlorine as I figured that was most important
Can rain really change things so quickly? The water is still crystal clear
I will do a complete test tomorrow and add more chlorine if indicated and acid too?
Thanks, this all seems so intimidating!

How much chlorine did you add between between measuring 3ppm 2 days ago and the rain? If it is none then that is the reason it is 0 now. It is unlikely that rain changed your chlorine level.

It is important to keep your chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA level at all times to keep the pool sanitized and prevent algae from growing. Aim for keeping FC at target level at all times. As you test and add you will get a feel for how much chlorine your pool uses. Chlorine CYA Chart

Your CYA is on the high end of the range. If you are using dichlor or trichlor it is time to stop and start using liquid chlorinemor bleach. Dichlor and trichlor will continue to add CYA. How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles to bring you up to speed on pool chemistry
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

It wouldn't be unheard of to lose 2-3 ppm a day normally. Your next test was two days after a rain (which doesn't usually do too much harm to the chemistry) and your CL was now 0, with higher pH (possibly rain drops or other aeration).

What are you using to test, how often do you test, what do you use to chlorinate your water? How does your water look?
What you need first is some good old liquid chlorine (aka bleach) in there to get some algae fighting chlorine to work for you as you figure out what your plan of action will be. Use the Pool Math calculator app up at the top to help guide you.

Thank you all for replying
Yes, I am still trying to adjust to doing things TFP way. Brand spanking new pool with all the new fangled dodads and TFP seems the old fashioned way however I am learning that daily maintenance is absolutely necessary. If I had a pool service they would only come 1xweek!
So after the test yesterday I added 1 Gallon of LC. Test results today
Chl 5
FC 5
CYA .5
TA 90
Ph 8
So I need to add stabilizer and adjust the Ph!
I will do daily testing and adding of LC as indicated
So simple really, the pool people have you thinking of all kinds of things...by the way I am returning the Nature2.

There is no way you got a reading of .5 CYA. CYA is measured in increments of 10. Your first post stated your CYA was 50, which is good.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, if your pool has all the new fangled dodads and you like it that way get a SWG or The Liquidator. No more old fashioned methods for you! Love the terminology btw!

Yep, Did not do the #'s correct, it was to CC that was .5. This am the CYA is 60 which seems high. Lots of company with kids enjoying the H out of the pool, using my chlorine 'tabs' added to skimmer for slow release of chlorine with some stabilizer but seems the stabilizer is getting a bit high. I want to use up the very large tub of tabs that I still have (waste not want not and all that) so obviously a balancing act. This am the TC is 3 and Ph is 7.8, I'll add some fresh water to the pool and chlorinate according to Poolmath.

It takes only 4-5 tabs in your pool to go up 10 on CYA. You have to pull those tabs or you will be through the roof with your CYA.

I agree, they are convenient, but you pay a price in the end. It's time to get in the habit,of testing and adding a little bleach each morning with coffee. Soon enough you will learn your pools appetite for chlorine and maybe can just test every other day, but still add what you know it needs each day.

Your chlorine is way too low and algae is probably growing in your pool right now. Chlorine cannot drop below the minimum level for your CYA level or your pool will not be properly sanitized and algae will grow.

Take a look at this Chlorine CYA Chart and find the CYA level and set chlorine to the target level or slightly higher at all times. And never let it drop below minimum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.