Equipment choices

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
Looking to go with Pentair how does this look:

Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP variable speed pump.
Pentair Clean n Clear Plus 520 sq. ft. Cartridge filter
Pentair Master Temp 125 400,000 BTU
Pentair Intellichlor IC40 salt system

Do I need a booster pump?

Getting closer.

I'd recommend the Quad 60 over the 520. I think the Quads are some of the best filters out there.

The Master Temp 400 is the 400K heater. Not sure where you got 125. I would not go any smaller than the 400. The Master Temps are good heaters but the Raypaks seem to be a superior heater.

I would avoid the booster pump all together and opt for a robot. Dolphin makes great cleaners.

The IntelliFlo is a great pump:thumleft:

Are you going with an Intellitouch/Easytouch?

Yes the heater is the Master Temp 400. Size of pool, will be about 115 liner feet, 32x18 free form, 4 to 5 1/2 ft deep with a 8ft spa with 8 jets. I am guessing about 15-18k gallons. Is the Quad 60 a DE filter? Cost wise they aren't much different, I also read you can run it without DE?

Robot??

Oh and I want the intellitouch controller.

The Quad is a combo cartridge/DE filter...kinda the best of both worlds. It has great filtering abilities and little pressure/flow loss. I don't know why you would want to run it without DE though

A robotic cleaner is a standalone unit with its own power supply, pump and filter system. It works completely independent of your pools plumbing. A robot has a considerably lower cost of operation compared to a suction side cleaner and even more so than a pressure cleaner. The best part is all the dirt and debris it picks up stays out of your main pool filter which equates to fewer filter cleanings. I imagine you would only have to clean your filter once a year, and even then, that may not be needed. With the utility rates we pay, the robot will probably pay for itself in less than a year.

Dolphin Oasis Z5 gets very good reviews. I have one and I'm extremely happy with it. I only put it in the pool once every 2 weeks.

The intellitouch is more than likely overboard for what you need. An easy touch 4/8 is more than likely capable of doing anything you would want it to. What all do you want to automate?

You will still need to run the pool pump to filter and skim to clear up the water (and in your case produce chlorine) but you can run the pump at a very low speed to do this. A pressure or suction cleaner would require much higher pump speeds and possibly shutting off the skimmers to provide enough suction/pressure.

You are saving on the high speed run times and the visual appearance of not having a cleaner in the pool 24/7...not to mention keeping your filter much cleaner in the process.

The Easytouch can do all of that. I highly recommend the screenlogic as well. You can run your pool through any cell phone and will not need to purchase the Pentair wireless remote

I'm not familiar with the quad 60, but it sounds appealing. How do you maintain this hybrid filter? Is it better than an all DE filter or cartridge only filter?

I have neighbors on either side of us with pools. We just broke ground on ours and I've been asking them questions daily.

One has a DE filter and swears it's the best. I see him role out a hose to back wash it every once in a while. His water is crystal clear.

Neighbor on other side has cartridge filter and complains about maintenance, cartridge clean up, pool start up. His water looks nothing like the other pool.

I realize chemical balance is the reason and not the filters. I haven't purchased my equipment so still have time to adjust. Currently I'm getting clean clear 520.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can backwash the Quad if you want to, but I don't think its necessary. The multiport valves are very restrictive, even the high flow versions. They can reduce the pump pressure by 5-8 psi and who knows what they do to gpm. Some feel that added convenience of the valves makes the inefficiencies worth it, but I do not.

Backwashing wastes a ton of water. The quads are so easy to break down completely and clean; I can tear mine apart and have it back together in 20 mins. The only water wasted in my setup is the water that is in the filter itself and the little I use to hose off the filters. I also know exactly how much DE to add to the filter. When you backwash, who knows how much DE you lost and how much you need to replace.

The neighbor scenarios mentioned above probably have less to do with the filters and more to do with chemistry and maintenance. In reality, I bet you couldn't really tell the difference between any of the filters by looking at the water of a properly maintained pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.