Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fine Tuning...

1. Back To Top    #1

Fine Tuning...

Good evening pool lovers! I have a question about fine tuning and what if anything am I missing out on...

My numbers have been pretty consistent each evening (pre-evening treatment):

ph 7.5
    fc 4-5
    cc .5
    CH-275-300
    ta 90-100
    cya 42

my question is about ph and ta... I have my aerator on when my pump is on...and I can't seem to get the ph up past 7.5 and my ta also seem to come it at 90-100...

My water is bright crystal clear, so I am blessed right now about that, but am I missing out on some efficiencies with my ph and ta being a little off? Just curious how hard I need to work on those...

I truly don't know the effects of each, so I am admitting my ignorance...
    ~16,500g, in ground gunite pool, Hayward pro series sand filter, Emerson pumps, TF 100 XL test kit, Speed Stir, Polaris 280 pool sweep (I believe that is the model)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fine Tuning...

Nope, no loss of efficiencies. If anything, the fact that your pH holds stable means you don't have to buy acid.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great, thanks Richard!
    ~16,500g, in ground gunite pool, Hayward pro series sand filter, Emerson pumps, TF 100 XL test kit, Speed Stir, Polaris 280 pool sweep (I believe that is the model)

4. Back To Top    #4

Your PH and numbers are obviously in harmony. Enjoy.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Your numbers look like sweet music to our ears. Nice to see that, and you are in-tune with your pool. Nice work.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! I am new to all this so wasn't sure what implications ph was from 7.5 to my target 7.8... Or 90-100 from my target 80 ta... I wasn't sure if one had an impact on eye irritation, dryer skin, etc.

all is good, thanks for the reassurance guys!

7. Back To Top    #7

After some point you'll have your pool down to a science. You'll know what the free chlorine and ph readings are going to be before you even do the test! I keep a journal of my results, including any weather events, bather load, or anything out of the ordinary. When I first received my test kit, it took a whole page of notebook paper for me to decipher the results. Now a month goes on two sheets, front and back.
    18k gal AG Sand Filter K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

You're welcome! Of course there are always exceptions depending on the situation (i.e one chemical balance waaaaay off), but personally I tend to focus on making sure PH is always in my window first, and can let the TA float a little but more around it's window as needed as long as they are working well together. This topic can get really deep, but here's a good discussion on that topic: what does High/Low Ph do to your skin?

So some folks who just had new plaster done, or have lots of aeration or swimming activity might have other specific challenges, but generally speaking, if our PH stays close to our recommended level window, our skin and eyes should be fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Very cool, thanks again! And thanks for the additional info!