Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How are my numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

How are my numbers

Hi everyone finally got good weather here in N. Texas and able to get stable testing w/o all the rain and drain.
    Just wanted to run some numbers by everyone since it says in pool school for a fiberglass pool to keep the CH between 220-320.Should I raise my CH from the 160 up to least 220?
    Or should I aim more for mid scale say 270?
    FC 5.5, CC 0
    PH 7.6
    CYA 75
    Wtr temp 90F
    TA 90
    CH 160
    Salt -3100

Thanks for any replies I get. Just wanted to let everyone know that my first year of pool ownership has been a pleasant experience, thanks to all the wonderful help here on TFP.
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How are my numbers

Does your pool have a vinyl liner in it per chance?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Test your tap water. When things start getting really hot and you start losing water to evaporation, your CH will climb all by itself. Water evaporates, CH stays behind.

Unless the pool is brand new and under warranty and you have to keep CH up to protect the gelcoat, I'd just wait for it to happen naturally.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey there fellow "Viking". Our water is quite hard in my area near San Antonio. You must get the good stuff up north.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Love my viking. First year ch stayed in the 240 range.
    I tested my fill water last year but remember what the results were. I normally document everything. I will have to retest.
    Should i go ahead and add calcium
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    Does your pool have a vinyl liner in it per chance?
    Im pretty sure the FG in his sig means fiberglass.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

7. Back To Top    #7

Your right. Fg...fiberglass

8. Back To Top    #8

As Richard mentioned above, CH should begin to climb naturally via evaporation. But if you are concerned about meeting the requirements outlined in the Viking owners manual to protect your coating, and your pool is fairly new, you certainly can bump it up a bit. If you do, I would recommend going to the lowest amount noted in the owners manual by using the Poolmath calculator to determine the amount required to reach that level. Over time, that number may continue to climb, and if it gets too high you don't have many options to lower it again. Have a great summer!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for all the input. I learned something new in this discussion. I did not know that ch raises naturally due to evaporation. This is why i like this forum. Everyone is eager to help and provides a lot of useful info. I will do 2 things. First test my fill water ch level. Then make a decision based on that test.
    Thanls again for everything.

10. Back To Top    #10

You got it! PS ~ We ALL learn a bit here everyday. It's what makes this forum so good.

11. Back To Top    #11

Tested my fill water CH @ 160.