Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY Pump Replacement - Change in Input Port Height

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Pump Replacement - Change in Input Port Height

Hi All,

The casing on my pool pump has a crack and started leaking. Thanks to all the good stuff in these forums, I feel pretty comfortable selecting a replacement pump and doing the work . . . except for one thing. The center of the current pump's input port is 9 3/8" above the pad. The center of the input port on the new models I'm considering runs around 8 1/8". So i'm wondering if I have to cut all the return lines on the suction side to lower them ~1", or if I can slope the final length of pipe that mates to the input port down, or what. I imagine this isn't a new problem, but I didn't find anything searching for it. I would love your help. I've attached a couple pictures of the setup.

Thanks a bunch,
    Rob

--

18k gallon, IG plaster, 2.4 THP Centurion B130, Heyward S310T sand filter, Polaris 380 cleaner, aeration from spa waterfall
    Last edited by rosensama; 06-11-2015 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Add signature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY Pump Replacement - Change in Input Port Height

Welcome to TFP!!!

You can not slope the pipe down to the pump inlet ... but you could use 45s to lower the pipe before the pump.
    Or even easier, raise the pump up with a paver of rubber mats.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

45s sound a lot easier than lowering all the risers. Any rule of thumb on how close they can be to the risers. The pump manuals recommend a 5 x pipe diameter straight run coming into the suction port.

Mats do sound easy, all right. Is there anything in particular you recomment that stands up well to the outdoors and some chemical dribbles from time to time?

Thanks,
    Rob
    15k gallon, IG plaster pebble surface, single speed filter pump, sand filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ PB40 booster, AutoPilot Nano+ w/ RC-28 cell.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have a Tractor Supply nearby they sell horse stall mats in half and full size (I think half size is about 3x5 ft for around $30) these make great cheap anti vibration mats and will reduce the amount of noise transmitting into the slab by your pump.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Those horse mats were just the thing. But man, they're not too easy to carry. Thanks for the advice.
    15k gallon, IG plaster pebble surface, single speed filter pump, sand filter, Polaris 280 cleaner w/ PB40 booster, AutoPilot Nano+ w/ RC-28 cell.