Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where do you buy your cyanuric acid?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where do you buy your cyanuric acid?

Hi

I am new at this. I was looking on amazon to buy my Cyanuric acid. Can I go with the cheapest? Some are 8lbs and some are 25lbs,I have a 12' above ground pool, how much do I need? Any preferred brand?

Thxs

Pat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where do you buy your cyanuric acid?

Unless you have Amazon Prime with free shipping, just go to Walmart and buy it. You'll be there buying pool toys anyway.

How deep is the pool? Pool volume determines how much you need. Hint: for a small pool like yours, roughly a pound should be enough.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Get mine at Walmart.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

I usually buy mine at Lowes, but I hear the stuff at Wal-Mart dissolves a little faster
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Lowes for me too, they just switched from Kemtech to Clorox brand.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I always buy mine at walmart, and it's called "Stabilizer". If you look at the ingredients, you will CYA.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I've only had to buy it once. I got it at walmart. Ours just switched from aqua chem to clorox brand. Wasn't very expensive and dissolved very easily.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will try walmart first, I think the best deal would be there. But I will look at the one at lowes next time I m over there.

Patrick

10. Back To Top    #10

Walmart...its like $14
    Lomart 18x48 AGP 7000Gal
    Hayward S210T w/Hayward 1hp Power-Flo Matrix Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 w/Speedstir!

11. Back To Top    #11

I bought mine from my local pool store. Although I am very fortunate to have a real good one close by. I've had to buy it twice this year. I kept my CYA level low last year (30) and we had several heavy rains that required me to to drain back to normal levels. Lost just about all of my CYA and a good chunk of my calcium hardness too.

I paid $25 for a gallon of liquid CYA. That same amount in granules (4 lbs) would have cost me $19. The extra $6 was worth it to pour it in and have it dissolved within 30 seconds instead of waiting a week for granules to dissolve.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter